Barcode scanner, Ethernet/IP Controllogix

Sorted it. For another NOOB like me it IS as simple as people say. Add it as a "generic Ethernet module", set the instances (for me I copied another working program as Erwin Sick still wont issue this info OR a "memory map") This then creates the array in the controller tags as if it is a bog standard input/output card. View these tags and there is a barcode plus other info from the scanner (with no "map" there is no easy way of knowing where "good read" goes etc...). Thanks for everyones help.
Can you give me the output and input instances?

Try following the link in Bernie's post on the previous page. It is a full tech note with example ACD files.

Darren

Sure, the instances I have set are Input 101, size 200. Output 100, size 200 and Configuration 1, size 0. Then its a matter of "mapping" what you need. For the CLV640 I found the barcode itself starts at byte 7 onwards, bit 7 in byte 0 is a good read, byte 3 is number of good reads and byte 6 is length of barcode read. Bit 2 in byte 1 is sensor 1 going high/low. I have a small program for converting the individual barcodes bytes into a string using indirect addressing so would be glad to offer any help if you need it.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll see what the CLV632 and CLV622 is showing me first. It should match up to how you set your output format, but I'll have to confirm.

I'll be back for help if it's not as easy as I think.

It appears the message is as it says, the plc cannot see the BCR over Ethernet. It's been an while since I worked on this project but have you set the BCR to Ethernet/IP, does the I/O tree look OK i.e. is there a yellow triangle over the Ethernet module (BCR). Are your IP address OK?. Is the error from a MSG block as this is not required, once the module is configured in the I/O tree you just read/copy the data from the block of bytes you named for the module.

That was it. I had to set the ethernet/ip in the BCR. I am working on codes to trigger the barcode from the plc side now. I will print out your output array from the previous post and see what I can use.

Did you have to use the SOPAS tool to run the BCR? I would like to turn on the BCR with the PLC and be able to get them stored in the PLC.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Yes used SOPAS but never tried turning on the laser via Ethernet, this is where the "map" is required so the end user does not have to work this out. Good Luck with this.

clv 630 & Ethernet

Does anyone have a sample PLC program they would be willing to share? The sample from Sick is making me sick, why is there not an EDS file for this yet?

Thank you.

I have (hopefully) attached a file that was a small program I wrote when playing with these scanners around a year ago. From what I can remember it takes the code and builds it into a string, it worked very well at the time. I have changed the file extension to .plc from .acd to allow the upload. I do have a real program from a sorting machine but it's pretty complex. I hope this is of some use.