Barcode scanner with FactoryTalk View SE

Abdul03

Hi Friends,

I have a problem in getting data from a barcode scanner in to my FTView SE scada. Basically, I am new to this and haven't done this before. Therefore, not exactly able to figure out how to establish the communication.

Is it possible to communicate with USB cable or do I need any other such as RS232 etc. and what will be used as bridge between SCADA and the barcode scanner.

If anyone out there have any experience in using this type of system. I would really appreciate a little help and guidance.

Thank you in advance.

What kind of barcode scanner are you using?

If you have one that connects to your PC with USB and reads in an ASCII value you can configure it to populate a text input field directly.

If you have something else it might be a bit more complicated but should be able to be configured.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the reply.

@alexmarcy: The barcode scanner what I am using, it connects to the PC via USB. Could you please tell me how can I configure it to connect with SE.

The type of barcode scanner Iam using is Zebex 3191LE.

I am completely new to this kind of stuff, some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Abdul:
Your barcode reader connected to the PC has to work as a keyboard input under Ft view, so configure your display and your keyboard input as numerical or string and a that point use your barcode reader to enter data, it should work with no problem..

You may need to configure the scanner to communicate over USB, there is documentation for how to do that here: http://www.zebex.com/product/Handheld/Z-3191LE.html

Once you have it set up to scan via USB it should input text from the barcode into your fields in FTalk View. You can also test this functionality in Notepad or Word as the scanner should function like a keyboard.

I have set up systems similar to this in the past no problem once the scanner's drivers are installed. You just need to select whatever text field you want to enter the barcode value into, scan the barcode and it should populate the value.

I have set up the barcode scanner as keyboard and I can able to read data in to notepad or word. However, still not sure how can I read it in to FTView. Do I have to configure any communication driver within the FTView SE ?

If I have four different values reading by the scanner, how can I arrange them in to different fields in FTview Se and will this data get stored in the FTView tag?

You need to set up however many string input fields you need for the tags you want to get values for and then configure those with the tags you want to use. After that you just need to click the input field as if you were going to type in a value and instead of typing use the scanner and it should put the value in the field.

Try creating a String Input Tag box on the HMI.

Click on the String Input so it brings up a keyboard - and then run the scanner. If it works in Notepad, it should work there.

Thank you Guys,

Been busy for couple of days, I will try this over the weekend and let you guys know the result.

Most USB bar code scanners are no different that a USB keyboard. As long as a text input field has focus, then scanning a bar code will act as if you typed all the info on a keyboard.