beckhoff EL6601 - Siemens CP343-1 lean

wiig

we are trying to make tcp conn. between these 2 cards, untill now without result. maybe it is not possible anyway, does anybody expirienced the same problem?
we send a msg from the beckhoff side, the software acts like it is all ok, but the siemens side hasn't seen anything...
we are wondering if the combination of these cards is possible, before proceding... thx!

we are trying to make tcp conn. between these 2 cards, untill now without result. maybe it is not possible anyway, does anybody expirienced the same problem?
we send a msg from the beckhoff side, the software acts like it is all ok, but the siemens side hasn't seen anything...
we are wondering if the combination of these cards is possible, before proceding... thx!

The easiest way to see if something is going wrong is to use a tool like wireshark to look at what packets are actually being sent.

That said, my experience is that TCP communications can be somewhat picky about all the config settings. Everything needs be exactly correct, or nothing will work.

it looks like wireshark is unable to watch traffic because a dedicated switch only sends to
the destination port. we simulated a conn. between beckhoff and a tool called hercules, this works fine! so the problem is at siemens side (who wonders? :))
we are wondering if the 'lean' module is capable of doing a conn with the beckhoff module, we'll find out! thx

Last edited:
Without knowing what you have done, I am guessing that the Beckhoff side uses the ADS Protocol which Siemens do not understand.

If I had to setup communications between Beckhoff and Siemens S7, I would go either via
1. Profinet. Needs a separate card in the Beckhoff system. edit: an EL6631 card.
or
2. Modbus TCP. Needs library blocks that costs license fees in both systems. edit: The library blocks for the Siemens CP343-1 are very expensive.

Last edited:
thanks for answering !
no we use the ethernet protocol
the connection is running now (a few hours ago).
after an error 'fail to open conn' we gave a general reset or reset all, wich closes all the connections.
the siemens module doesn't answer anymore to an 'open' request after an error and obviously needs a general reset.
thanks for the help and interest!

thanks for answering !
no we use the ethernet protocol
the connection is running now (a few hours ago).
after an error 'fail to open conn' we gave a general reset or reset all, wich closes all the connections.
the siemens module doesn't answer anymore to an 'open' request after an error and obviously needs a general reset.
thanks for the help and interest!

In the switch you probably need a feature like Port mirroring to view the data. An Ethernet Tap works even better. Glad you proved it out to your PC though.

Very few devices can actually send plain Ethernet frames. The CP342-1 Lean you mentioned should be able to communicate via Open Socket TCP (Siemens documentation calls this Open User Communicaitons or OUC) messaging using the AG_Send/Recv blocks. This is what I was assuming you were doing when you said tcp in the first message. I'm not sure if this is supported on the Beckhoff side.