Best Laptop Setup for Controls

I don't think I have used a native ethernet port in years. My StarTech.com USB to Gig Ethernet adapter has been my go to for years.

the diminishing number of USB ports is a pain though.

What kind of equipment do you work with?
I'm the controls guy for a small machine builder.

I was looking at a Dell 5770, and it doesn't have an Ethernet port.
I've been using a usb adapter for a couple of weeks, with no issues, but I've only been commissioning new Rockwell equipment lately. My big fear is if I'm on service call working with older equipment, or different hardware, i won't be able to connect and be up a creek.
We utilize AB, Siemens, Omron, Mitsubishi, and Click PLCs, as well as other accessory companies with EthernetIP (like keyence, IFM, etc)

I was looking at a Dell 5770, and it doesn't have an Ethernet port

I wound up getting a Dell 5670 which does have a built in ethernet port along with plenty of USB. I just couldn't shake my fear of not having native ethernet on my machine so I wound up going with the 5670 which has them. Definitely happy with my purchase.

Has anyone any dealings with Framework laptops?

I've always really liked the way they made their laptop fully user serviceable/repairable, great for me as I've killed a couple leaving them on machines whilst testing.

There 13inch was just too small an didn't offer enough for me to purchase, however they're releasing a 16" what looks to be fully customizable model this year:

https://frame.work/laptop-16

the best laptop setup for controls will depend on the specific requirements of the user and the software being used.

I've always really liked the way they made their laptop fully user serviceable/repairable, great for me as I've killed a couple leaving them on machines whilst testing.

There 13inch was just too small an didn't offer enough for me to purchase, however they're releasing a 16" what looks to be fully customizable model this year:

https://frame.work/laptop-16

Only if they give the option of two things for the next 20 years....

Serial port add-on that actually works as a real serial port, and a pcmcia card addon that actually works as pcmcia and not just a usb derivative.

Otherwise, it's just a gimmick and you can buy a laptop with the ports you need and it will likely be obsolete before you need to change that setup.

No direct experience, but I have researched these. The current models have very poor battery life from what I have read. I will probably go with one of these for my next personal laptop, but don't think they're ready to be professional machines just yet.