2016 Best Laptop for VM ware

If you want a monster machine without the monster size, definitely look into the Dell m3800. It's a killer workstation, great warranty, excellent build quality.

If you buy cheap, low end models, they are flimsy. You but a Business Class Dell Precision it is Anything but flimsy. Thing is built like a tank. Full magnesium chassis AND magnesium screen frame. Your assessment is not accurate.

It was the high end business model. I could still bend the front of it just by picking it up. And we paid $4,800 for it.

What about Linux as a host? If you run VirtualBox it was designed to run on Linux; that means you don't waste CPU & RAM running two versions of Windows (host + VM session).
...but you can also run VMware workstation on Linux if you like that better.

That's fine, but I personally choose my host OS based on where I do most of my work. I makes no sense to me to run Linux as my host OS when I do most of my work in Windows.

I'm currently running an Asus laptop, I-7 processor, 16GB ram, 960 GB SSD. Win 7 Pro 64 Host, Win 7 Pro 32 VM, Ubuntu VM. and a QNX VM.

What about Linux as a host? If you run VirtualBox it was designed to run on Linux; that means you don't waste CPU & RAM running two versions of Windows (host + VM session).
...but you can also run VMware workstation on Linux if you like that better.

That's fine, but I personally choose my host OS based on where I do most of my work. I makes no sense to me to run Linux as my host OS when I do most of my work in Windows.

I'm currently running an Asus laptop, I-7 processor, 16GB ram, 960 GB SSD. Win 7 Pro 64 Host, Win 7 Pro 32 VM, Ubuntu VM. and a QNX VM.

The point arlenjacobs was trying to make is your resources would be more efficient with a stripped Linux host OS and your non automation software windows VM would also be elastic and moved to another machine in an easy manner when you upgrade, drive crashes, etc.

Having a stripped and lean OS like Linux and running your non programming and automation windows in a VM is a far better solution than running a windows host.

I have done it both ways on multiple machines and bench marked them all what arlenjacobs suggested is best for performance.

Last edited:
The point arlenjacobs was trying to make is your resources would be more efficient with a stripped Linux host OS and your non automation software windows VM would also be elastic and moved to another machine in an easy manner when you upgrade, drive crashes, etc.

Having a stripped and lean OS like Linux and running your non programming and automation windows in a VM is a far better solution than running a windows host.

I have done it both ways on multiple machines and bench marked them all what arlenjacobs suggested is best for performance.

That sounds like a matter of opinion, while you may be able to get better performance on some benchmarks, I have done it both ways as well and do have machines that run a Linux host, it wasn't necessary to run benchmarks either way, but decided on my current setups based solely on productivity. My big workstation is a Linux host, but with 256 GB of ECC ram and 16 logical processors,it is specifically designed to run Virtual Machines.

Last edited:
I've got a Dell M4800 with 16GB Ram a 1TB SSD and a 512GB SSD in the CD bay i7 processor. Great machine. Have 2 VMs that I run on it consistently. The battery life could be better though.

I miss my old 17" Dell XPS - weighed a ton - huge battery - working for quite a few hours with everything going flat out - no good having the USB or Ethernet port go into sleep mode when working with PLCs. Blew it up on a job one day - had to get one in a hurry. Picked up a HP Omen gamers machine - sometimes it struggles! The case is really tough and is brilliant - very thin - USB/Ethernet converter supplied - all USB ports are USB3 - it performs pretty well but was too expensive. I do not like the Dell selections at the moment - quite often a hard drive with no SSD option and 8gb RAM with no 16gb option - they seem to have gone a bit silly! The current PC is not what I want but it is nearly impossible to get what I want. I guess the world of laptops does not revolve around the PLC road warrior - light appears to be good these days for the ladies to carry on and off the plane.

I do not like the Dell selections at the moment - quite often a hard drive with no SSD option and 8gb RAM with no 16gb option - they seem to have gone a bit silly! The current PC is not what I want but it is nearly impossible to get what I want. I guess the world of laptops does not revolve around the PLC road warrior - light appears to be good these days for the ladies to carry on and off the plane.

Maybe the Australia selections are different, but in the states you can configure the Dell Precision mobile workstation laptops for just about anything you'd want. You'll pay a price but you can get it. If you like 17", then the 7000 series gives you up to 64gb of ram, multiple hard drives including PCIe SDDs. And a large battery.

If you can only get 'off the shelf' solutions in Australia then I see your point.

I have a MacBook Pro, late 2013. Plenty powerful for VMs, 2.6 core i7, 1TB SSD,NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB video card. But it wasn't cheap.
I too have a MacBookPro. I have the 2015 version. I bought it because the aluminum case is stronger than the plastic of other laptops. I also wanted all day battery life and something relatively easy to move around and a good track pad so I didn't need a flat surface for a mouse.

I didn't think my MacBookPro was that expensive. I bought the I5 13 inch screen model with about 500 GB of SSD.

What I like is the ease of switching between the WindowsXP VM and and OS X.
The SSD is a must.

When you go to build on the Dell Oz site and put in 17" screen it only brings up the Inspiron with limited options - will have to have a bit more of a look.

That sounds like a matter of opinion, while you may be able to get better performance on some benchmarks, I have done it both ways as well and do have machines that run a Linux host, it wasn't necessary to run benchmarks either way, but decided on my current setups based solely on productivity. My big workstation is a Linux host, but with 256 GB of ECC ram and 16 logical processors,it is specifically designed to run Virtual Machines.

A Linux host is less resource intensive than a Windows host on any machine on any day and it's a matter of fact not opinion that is the reason so many servers run applications under Linux and for non virtualized loads 90% of all servers are Linux OS.

When you go to build on the Dell Oz site and put in 17" screen it only brings up the Inspiron with limited options - will have to have a bit more of a look.

I poked around on the Dell.com/AU site, and indeed you don't have much for options, and doesn't look like you can really customize anything really and you don't have access to the Precision line of laptops. You do have the Dell XPS which is basically the Precision m3800, main difference is the graphics (gaming vs work). The high end 15 XPS is a good option but no 17". If you really want 17" then you almost have to go the Alienware gaming laptop route, looks like you can get a 2nd hard drive too, but you're paying for high end gaming graphics that you might not use.

...unless you're a gamer too!

i7 processor and 32GB RAM

Have had Dell and HP systems over the last half decade. Currently use the smoothest systems I've ever had.
Lenovo W541. i7 processor with 32GB RAM and 500GB SSD HDD.

Definition of smooth here would be a VM running along with a heavy PLC programming software suite and other items on the host at the same time ( Chrome, Lotus Notes, MS Word..etc..), with no lag in operation.

From looking at the Lenovo site today and as GTUnit has pointed out, the current replacement seems to be the P-series, specifically if not going below a 15.6" screen, and the price point is probably in the low to mid $2k's , for specs that will roll smooth.

Around November/December 2015, Lenovo may have been closing out the W-series and a unit with the specs above was going for about $1600- $1700. Nearly bought one but didn't.☯

Has anyone tried a MetaBox system? I was looking at these last year, but decided to steer clear as I couldn't find enough information on them.

I too have a MacBookPro. I have the 2015 version. I bought it because the aluminum case is stronger than the plastic of other laptops.

It's a mistake to think that all others are using plastic. Some laptops are using magnesium because it's lighter than aluminum but equally strong, but unfortunately more expensive too. Also carbon fiber is used and then aluminum of course.

Typical high end business models use material like these. They usually have features like spill-resistant keyboard and other things you would want in a more business like laptop.