2016 Best Laptop for VM ware

That's fine, but I personally choose my host OS based on where I do most of my work. I makes no sense to me to run Linux as my host OS when I do most of my work in Windows.

I'm currently running an Asus laptop, I-7 processor, 16GB ram, 960 GB SSD. Win 7 Pro 64 Host, Win 7 Pro 32 VM, Ubuntu VM. and a QNX VM.

I could agree to that, but the OP was asking about VMware performance; which I assumed was more important than host OS use.

The best, best is likely to use Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V or VMware ESX type 1 hypervisors; basically just an OS > hypervisor > on hardware.
Running VMware on Windows desktop or even VirtualBox on Linux are both type 2 hypervisors; an OS > in hypervisor > on an OS > on hardware.

I use a Linux laptop with VirtualBox because it boots fast and doesn't waste RAM with the host OS; and I(.T.) won't bloat the host OS with other software services that kill performance.

Any laptop choice you make, virtual machines seem to work best with:
- Lots of RAM (min 4GB per OS)
- Two harddrives (one for the host OS, one for the VMs)

My current setup for work is a Dell Latitude E6540 with an i7-4610m, 16GB RAM, and a Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB SSD. It runs Windows 7 Pro and I use VM Ware workstation 7. I have no complaints running typical business programs on the host with an additional 4 VMs at the same time. Most of the time I'm in my VMs running RSLogix5000 or some version of Wonderware or System Platform. The only complaint I have is that there is some issue with computers that are native USB 3.0, running Windows 7, with VM Ware. I can't get USB to serial converters working inside my VMs. I didn't have this issue on the previous generation latitude which was a native USB 2.0 machine.