Best Way? Line Speed (Encoder)

Okay, I was wrong. The values stays up when the encoder stops...

Here's a new snip of our line stopped...

It needs someway of resetting the running average maybe? A reset would be too discrete though. I need real-time data so I can detect subtle speed changes and use that data to for control features...
Thanks,

John

I think the minimum speed feature was causing the problem...

I took it out and now it seems to work okay... I'm not sure yet how fast it works though...

Thanks,

John

I'm not sure exactly which encoder you have, but I inserted a non-CIPMotion multi-turn 842 in a project I have on my laptop. It allowed me to select position-velocity as the input type. That is the variant you want to use. Use the position data where you currently use position for calculating length. Use the velocity data where you are trying to calculate velocity. Best of both worlds in that case. I'm sure that is what Ken was trying to get across.

Keith

I'm not sure exactly which encoder you have, but I inserted a non-CIPMotion multi-turn 842 in a project I have on my laptop. It allowed me to select position-velocity as the input type. That is the variant you want to use. Use the position data where you currently use position for calculating length. Use the velocity data where you are trying to calculate velocity. Best of both worlds in that case. I'm sure that is what Ken was trying to get across.

Keith

Keith,

It seems that only position or velocity are available to me...

Maybe I need to revise my encoder selection...

That would awesome to be able to use both...

Thanks,

John

Excellent !

The postition/status/velocity selections for the input assembly aren't obvious, so I'm glad you got it sorted.

This thread has also encouraged me to use one of these as a "slip detector" on a new machine of mine with CompactLogix CIP motion.

If the part passing through gets stuck or slips on the drive wheels it can get damaged by the heat of the process, so a freewheel with a CIP motion encoder can give me an easy way to compare the actual speed of the part with the desired speed.

It sounds like you got the desired result by reading the velocity directly from the encoder. If your encoder doesn't have this feature, I've used the last scan time value in the past to get the elapsed time between velocity calculations to give a fast reading(vs using a timer). This was with plc5 though, never needed to do this with Clogix.