Boot-P with Windows 11

Nebul0us

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all, does anyone know of an issue with Boot-P not working on Windows 11? Before you ostracize me, it was not my choice to have a Windows 11 laptop.

So basically I'm trying to assign an IP to a Micro820 PLC and boot-p is not able to assign an IP at all. I'm aware of the usual issues with Rockwell's boot-p tool and it's inability to disable DHCP, but in this case I can't even assign an IP to the device. I have also tried using Phoenix Contact's boot-p tool (my preferred method) to no avail. After spending an hour messing with it, my colleague was able to use his Windows 10 laptop and address it with boot-p no problem. Does anyone have some light they can shed on this issue for me?

The bootp tool has largely been deprecated. Use the Ethernet/IP commissioning tool instead, it's installed automatically along with the newer versions of Studio 5000.

I use it on Windows 11 Arm and have found it much more reliable than the bootp tool ever was, although there are a couple of tricks to learn about it initially.

The bootp tool has largely been deprecated. Use the Ethernet/IP commissioning tool instead, it's installed automatically along with the newer versions of Studio 5000.

I use it on Windows 11 Arm and have found it much more reliable than the bootp tool ever was, although there are a couple of tricks to learn about it initially.

Feel free to share what those tricks are. I'm still bashing away at BootP on Win10 and VM's like a luddite :ROFLMAO:

The main ones off the top of my head are:
- The tool asks you to specify the hostname and IP address for each device (obviously), but automatically uses the subnet mask, gateway, and DNS settings from your laptop's ethernet adaptor. So you need to make sure you have those settings right before you open the tool. If you change your network config, you have to close and reopen the tool to make it take effect
- It won't let you assign an IP address to a device that's outside your laptop's configured subnet. This is presumably to prevent the user error issue where people complain "it set the IP address but won't disable BOOTP" because they gave it an IP address that their laptop can't communicate with
- It bypasses the problem the bootp tool has where it tries to use your wifi network connection instead of your physical ethernet connection because it asks you to specify which adaptor you're using when you open the application. This does however mean that the adaptor has to be plugged in and active before you open the tool
- Always look at the settings screen on start up. It will tell you about various problems before you tear your hair out trying to figure out why it's not working. e.g. it'll handily tell you "background service not running" and even give you a checkbox to enable it right there
- In the old bootp tool, when a device is assigned an address, it moves from the top pane to the bottom pane. In the new tool, it moves from the "unassigned devices" tab to the "assigned devices" tab, i.e. it just disappears completely from the screen (until you switch tabs)
- You can set all your IP addresses, then switch to the "assigned devices" tab, check the box at the top of the column to select all devices, and disable BOOTP/DHCP on every device at once instead of doing it one at a time. It's a small thing, but it's nice to have

Last edited:
Hi all, does anyone know of an issue with Boot-P not working on Windows 11? Before you ostracize me, it was not my choice to have a Windows 11 laptop.

So basically I'm trying to assign an IP to a Micro820 PLC and boot-p is not able to assign an IP at all. I'm aware of the usual issues with Rockwell's boot-p tool and it's inability to disable DHCP, but in this case I can't even assign an IP to the device. I have also tried using Phoenix Contact's boot-p tool (my preferred method) to no avail. After spending an hour messing with it, my colleague was able to use his Windows 10 laptop and address it with boot-p no problem. Does anyone have some light they can shed on this issue for me?

When I have issues with this tool, it is usually related to the firewall. Try turning off the firewall and see if that helps.

OG

Just wanted to update...with Windows 11 I was able to finally get boot-p to work it just took an unusually long for it to send it's requests.