BootP to Configure AB 1756-ENBT

RZR

Hello,

I want to configure AB 1756-ENBT ethernet module using BootP software. I connected my PC directly via cross cable once and via straight cable second time to the ethernet module that installed on the 1756-A7 chassis and opened BootP program and set the mask net to 255.255.255.0 and I followed the steps mentioned in AB manual but the MAC address and any thing of the module not showed in the BootP program.
How I should connect my PC to the ethernet module to set the IP address using BootP. Is there need to do any configuration for the PC. A diagram or scrren shoot will be helpfull.

Thanks

Thanks Mickey,
Acually I used the same procedure that discribed in the manual but didn't get the MAC address and this lead me to think that may be I connected the PC to the module in wrong way.
I wonder how should the PC be connected to the module? is there need to connect the PC through switch? what subnet mask sholud I enter first time?

If the module was not new, it may already have an IP address assigned...don't these modules have a scrolling display which shows the MAC ID, IP adress?

Yes, these modules do have a scrolling displsy.

If everything is operational, it will scroll the IP address. In this case, set your pc to be in the same subnet and connect to it with RSLinx. You can change any configuration you need to. Including enable or disable of BootP. BootP is usually disabled once the IP address is set so that the module will retain the IP address when power is lost. If the module already has an IP address assigned and BootP is disabled, you have to enable it first. But since you already have the ability to change the IP or subnet mask, why bother with BootP?

If there is no IP address on the scrolling display when it is powered up, it doesn't have an IP address. Now is when you need to use BootP.

Alternatively, you can access the ENBT through any other network path in the rack using RSLinx. Another ethernet module, the serial port of a processor, etc.

Last edited:
well i got a headache working on that today and finnaly figured it out but i should have come here and read a little bit...i could have save hours....

I first downloaded an old project with an IP adress and i was trying to set it up to another ip adress level and it doesnt work as long as you connect your pc with the same ip level and mask to modify and then change it back to the new ip range...

Dont forget to change it at all otherssss placesssss on the HMI project...
Why it's so complicated!

Sorry am upset with that damm thing but it's not bad overall...

The module is new. The scrolling display first showing Test and after a while it show Pass.
If I use another ENBT which have configured do I need the Processor to be installed on the Chassis also or only the new ethernet with the one have IP address is enough.

The module is new. The scrolling display first showing Test and after a while it show Pass.
If I use another ENBT which have configured do I need the Processor to be installed on the Chassis also or only the new ethernet with the one have IP address is enough.

"The module is new" - after showing PASS, the module scrolls "BOOTP 00:00:BC:xx:xx:xx", its MAC address. If it doesn't do this, the module is faulty.

"If I use another ENBT which have configured do I need the Processor to be installed on the Chassis also.." - No you don't need the processor, and yes, you can put two (or more) EtherNet modules in the chassis.

A switch is NOT needed, nor is a crossover cable, an ENBT automatically senses the cable connections.

Remember, your PC must be in the same SubNet as the ENBT you use to gain access to the Backplane, so if it has an IP address of, say, 192.168.1.20, and a SubNet Mask of 255.255.255.0, then your PC must be 192.168.1.xx (where xx is NOT 20).

A switch is NOT needed, nor is a crossover cable, an ENBT automatically senses the cable connections.
This is INCORRECT statement, ENBT does NOT and never will sence a cable connection.
Only newer modules (EN2T, EN2TR, EN3TR) have this functionality.

Ah, I had assumed it was the ENBT that allows me to use either type of cable - if the ENBT doesn't autosense, then it must be the laptop.

If that is the case then I apologise for the incorrect information.