Bridging two Ethernet cards

doomsword

This seems more as an IT problem but it's related to PLCs so I'll give it a shot here.
So to connect to PLCs I now use very long Ethernet cable going directly to switch for PLCs. I'm also sitting next to HMI computer that is also connected to same switch. This computer has two Ethernet cards, one is used to connect to PLCs and one is not used. IT guys from my company usually put two in case we have server-client HMI configuration, where one card is in PLC network and another is for computer (clients) network.
But in this case this is standalone HMI, it has I/O driver + runtime application. So 2nd is completely useless.
So, I would like to use it as my port to PLCs, connecting to it, bridging it to card that is used to access PLCs, and use my shorter 1m cable instead of 50m monstrosity given to me in this factory. :ROFLMAO:
I tried myself but for some reason it's not as simple as Internet says. So anyone can give me some help?

Watch the addresses

A few things to consider:

The two cards cannot have the same IP address.

Some (typically older) ports do not auto-cross. There are rare times where you have to use a crossover cable.

If your system uses routing there are considerations with the entry of the gateway address.

I've had two cards on one PLC hooked into the same network with good success.

Verify first cable type .. cross connection or direct.
then ipv4 configurations . they must have same ip group e.g. 192.168.xx.yy
ip address of the HMI
ip address of PLC
workgroup type

then next step

Sometimes on a PC with multiple ethernet ports, you have to use the "Route" command to ensure your system uses the correct port for a specific IP address. Search for Route command on the web, and you will see examples.