Building a PLC

(8{)} ( .)

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm planning on building a PLC using vacuum tubes. Does anyone know where I can get a truck-load of 12AX7's?

Thanks!

(8{)} :) .)
(Yosi)

what size truck? make /model. the more details you provide the better folks here can help you

If you pack the truck efficiently, you'll be able to get more tubes in a single load. I'm not sure how big the 12AX7S are that you are looking for, but remember, there is space in the glove box, cupholders, etc. to hold more tubes. Also, behind the seat, too.

The 12AX7 is popular with musicians. Used in guitar amplifiers. I've heard Russian tubes are the best. Probably too expensive for your project. Consider the 6GH8. Cheap and in abundance.
Study the ENIAC and IBM 704 for ideas.

Operating system

I was thinking of using the old COD (Clod Of Dirt) operating system for this thing. Anybody care to comment?

(8{)} :) .)
(Yosi)

Overdrive!

You could probably cut down on the number of tubes if you use a tube expander.

I like that idea. I've got an old PAIA Guitar pre-amp that I still use for recording. Wiring that thing in would provide a feature that no other PLC manufacturer offers. Brilliant!

Good to see that thermionic emmission is still being taken seriously. They won't be laughing when EMP destroys all that silicon based kit. Now where did I put those plans for a class A audio amplifier?

Nick

I don't know where you can get tubes but I can test them for you. I used to own a tube tester - plug in your tube in one of the 20 different socket sizes, and it would tell you if it was still good. I sold it to a guy that wanted it for his museum....

Diy plc

In a recent edition of Popular Plc's magazine it was suggested that the use of DH-001 valves was the most economical option for the Home Plc Brewer / enthusiast. This valve gives the best ratio of $ / baud rate on the market today. Normally available from your friendly Plc'sRS store, note : - if there are no DH-001's in stock you may substitute the DH-069, good luck.

I'm going to give it an ENORMOUS WOM (Write only memory). Think 1 Terabyte will be enough or should I go with unlimited memory? The tube circuit for that isn't all that complicated if I remember correctly.