Calibration of PLC Timer??

Probably the answer would be to use a register that can be adjusted from an HMI as the timer preset.
That way some operator could screw it up and the idiot auditor could bring his stopwatch out to re-calibrate it. That would make everyone happy.

Validation is normally done against an instrument that can be traced to a NIST standard but in this case its the best option. And if the timer is changed, revalidated.

55016166.jpg

The PLC manufacturer should have hardware specifications on the accuracy of the clock and, most likely certification of clock accuracy to a certain degree. This is your base accuracy. You then need to evaluate how the timer function operates and how frequently and with what variation the timer function is executed.

For example, a certain model of controllogix may have a timer chip certified by Rockwell or even a 3rd party like TUV to be accurate to plus or minus 10 microseconds. The Logix5000 implementation of the TON timer introduces a rounding error of up to 500 microseconds every time it is called because it is accumulation based instead of start time based. Your cycle is set to cyclic instead of continuous at 5 millisecond cycle time and VxWorks (the runtime or OS that controllogix uses) certifies that the jitter/variation on cycle start time is 5 microseconds or less. You are timing for 300 seconds.

Every cycle then introduces a possible 515 microseconds of accumulated error (154.5ms over 300 seconds), plus you have the 5ms possible worst case error from the cycle time itself. You're looking at around 160ms maximum error for the above example.

Contrast that with all the same numbers but not using an accumulation based TON, instead comparing a start time to the current time to cut out the accumulation error, and you are looking at just 15 microseconds per cycle instead of 515. That gives you a maximum error of 9.5ms for a 300 second timer on a 5ms. Actually, I think I'm accounting for clock accuracy and cycle jitter incorrectly and it would be more like 5.015ms.

You cannot use the continuous cycle if you need to validate timer accuracy.

Pretty sure that's not going to happen.....lol

I've BSed my way around calibration requirements a few times, including this very BS about timer accuracy. The only times I've ever seen times actually measured and validated were a project at NIST (they did it themselves, probably for fun) and a printing press with registration problems (turned out to be a diameter problem, not a timing problem).

I was audited a couple years ago as well. I asked them how they calibrate other systems and they use a calibrated stop watch. lol So I wrote a little program for the calibration team to input a time value into the HMI's and it turns on the Light Tree lights and they sit there for an hour every year testing various time values by watching the lights on each PLC.

Next year they want a PLC trigger to a calibrated stop watch.