Can an HMI access the control logix plc tag's Description

tonydmm2

Can an HMI access the control logix plc tag's Description? It's relatively new that the PLC stores the PLC tags descriptors in it's own plc memory, so that when you do an upload it brings the tags descriptors with with. It would be good timesaver if the HMI could read/write these descriptors!!!

You didn't specify which HMI. In FactoryTalk you can read the description and display it with a String Display object. Of course, the controller must be firmware v21 or newer. FactoryTalk View must be version 6.2 or newer but I'm not positive on that.

Use the format TagName.@ExtendedProperty where TagName is the controller tag and ExtendedProperty is the extended tag property, for example, [Shortcut]SodaCIPTanks.Water.Value.@Description.

Tag Description uses .@Description

This is a read-only connection. You cannot use the HMI to modify the description in the PLC.

OG