Can I change a Tag's scope in Logix5000

mjggjm12

I created a bunch of tags but accidentally put them in a program scope instead of the controller scope. Is there a way to change there scope or will I have to re-create them all? This is for RS Logix5000. Thank you for any advice.

if you are creating an offline file. You can export tags to .csv file change scope and import tags with new scope. After export and before import delete unwanted program tags.

A tag scope can't be changed.

How many tags? You can export tags to a spreadsheet, then in the spreadsheet change the scope. Then delete the tags in the program and then import. This is worth the time for large numbers of tags, but for only a handfull of tags it is less work to just recreate them in RSLogix.

A tag scope can't be changed.

How many tags? You can export tags to a spreadsheet, then in the spreadsheet change the scope. Then delete the tags in the program and then import. This is worth the time for large numbers of tags, but for only a handfull of tags it is less work to just recreate them in RSLogix.
About 40 tags. I will try exporting to a spread sheet. Can I export a group of tags or do I have to do them all. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Happens to me all the time! Open your program tags, highlight the tags you want to move, then cut, then open controller tags, and then paste. I'm always doing it offline, not sure if you can do it online. Also worth noting is you can hold the CTRL button while highlighting tags if they are not all in order. You can either right click and select cut and paste or use the standard windows shortcuts CTRL+X and CTRL+V.

And make sure when you follow rstech's advice that you are on the Edit tab and not the Monitor tab.

As mentioned, you have to be Offline. Oddly when Online it will let you Cut or Copy, but not Paste.

OG

I concur with rstech, cut them from from one database, paste to another works fine offline.

If you copy/paste (instead of cut/paste) the compiler will still attach to the Program-scoped tags, which is not what you want.

I recommend you do not have Program-scoped and Controller-scoped tags of the same name, it will just cause confusion to anyone looking at the code later.

Of course you can have same-named tags in multiple program tag databases, and that is a bonus if developing code for multiple machines, or machines with multiple lines/lanes/cells etc.

I do recall that in the very early revisions (6'ish) the compiler would choose to attach to a Controller-Scoped tag of the same name as a Program-Scoped tag, but that was fixed long ago....

Thanks everyone. I cut the tags from a program scope database and pasted them into the controller tags. Once again this forum has proven to be invaluable. Thanks again.