Channel 0 from control logics processor

Holmzy

I need to send Ascii data from the channel 0 of a control logics processor to a display

The Display uses a serial interface

Can some one show me an example of the instructions required

The actual contents of the string are going to depend on your Display and the protocol it uses.

In your ControlLogix program, you're going to want to use the ASCII Write (AWT) instruction.

AWT.GIF

Read all about it in Chapter 16 of the ControlLogix General Instruction Set Reference, publication 1756-RM003.

Ron

I am using RS232 and the Display is an Alpha sign.
Have made up a cable based on the pin out provided by the manufacturerbut the pin out is for a PC not necessarily for the PLC .

ControlLogix Channel 0 RS232 serial ports are "DTE" type, with Tx on Pin 2 and Rx on Pin 3. This is the same as a standard laptop RS232 serial port.

"Alpha" are a popular family of LED display made by Adaptive Display Systems. Many of them use a similar display protocol, but you're going to have to do the reading on that.

You can use the sample code that is supplied in the AWT command in L5K manual to test. Use your PC, connect directly to the processor. Use Hyperterminal, and setup the port exactly like in the example.
Basically, if you have another way to browse the processor, like Ethernet, use that to view your code, and toggle the necessary bits to start a transmission to the PC's serial port, via hyperterminal,.
THE KEY IS TO START SIMPLE. USE SIMPLE LOGIC with a send.
THen move to a receive.
Go slowly if you are new to this, and you will do fine.

Thanks for the Help I got it :)

Thanks for the advice all (y)

First step - I did as suggested and got the PLC talking to the PC in Hyperterminal.

Next Tried to send screen info to display with Hyperterminal , No Luck

Next used the diagnostic utility the came with the Display.
This could send message to the display

Next used the utility and sent to other LapTop to Hyperterminal
captured the info
[font='???rans Serif']$01$01[font='???rans Serif']u00$02E$AAU0100FF00$04$01u00$02AATotally awesome$04 ( only the Totaly Awesome was displayed)[/font][/font]
[font='???rans Serif'][/font]
[font='???rans Serif']Last created logic to send this required info to the display prior to the desired messages :D [/font][font='???rans Serif'][/font]

I can't open your ACD file, I assume you have version 16 installed. I am still on 15.01.
It looks like you either need to concatenate or start seperating your strings....but I really can't help because I can't see what your PLC is sending out.
Maybe you could post a PDF of the file...
I am delaying upgrading to 16 because I have heard there are lots of bugs. 15.01 is good.