Cimplicity 6.1 and Microsoft SQL Server on same server?

scotthower

Would it be OK to run CIMPLICITY HMI Plant Edition Version 6.10 and Microsoft - SQL Server Version 10.5 together on the same server running Windows Server 2003 R2?

I've googled this but haven't found a definitive answer to support or dissuade.

Thanks!

Does cimplicity need sql server? Sql server 10.5 and server 2003 R2 are fine together.

It really depends on your load and your hardware resources. Myself I would be virtualizing these and isolationg as much as possible to reduce conflicts and make troubleshooting easier.

I believe that this older version OF CIMPLICITY used MSSQL but could use SQL - this particular instance points to a full SQL solution on a different server running 2003 R2. The server that hosts CIMPLICITY is rather old and rather than replacing it I thought about co-locating the two applications on the same server.

I would prefer VM's, also - but the hardware already exists. I'm not concerned about horsepower or server resources - CIMPLICITY and its DB is all that's ever going to be on the server.

Thanks for the advice!

Vm's in your case would be more for isolation. Installing simplicity on the SQL server could cause issues. If you virtualize both and use them on the existing hardware then that will never be an issue and will run just like it does now.

Also once it's virtualized if the hardware dies it's easy to migrate to new hardware.

It's very rare now to find an appliction that you would not want to virtualize. I can count them all on one hand and I bet you have never heard of any of them.

You would benefit greatly to virtualize what you have.