Class 1 Div 1 Operator Interface

iknowsomeplc

Our customer want to install some Class 1 Div 1 operator interface with AB ControlLogix connectivity. There is no solution available from AB and we suggested putting PanelView plus in pressurized enclosures. Now, they are worried about the maintenance and machine up time. Anybody done like this before and faced any problems in maintenance ? Any customer success stories available?

I did something similar about 4 years ago. It is a Scada view node running inside of a purged enclosure. The connection is ethernet via fiber. I have not had any issues with the purged enclosure, the only down time we've had is when we lost the purge. I used this mfg: http://www.protech1.com/ (quite expensive, there may be better options)

I considered using DaisyData, but there enclosure did not have any certifications.

Nothing from AB?

Check out the Allen-Bradley DTAM terminal.

I know I've done some "intrinsically safe" work using those, but I don't remember if it Class 1 Div 1 or Class 1 Div 2.

As operator terminals, they're pretty limited - a few lines of text and a numeric keypad for data entry with 4 function keys that you can use for screen navigation.

Note: Not all DTAMs are intrinsically safe - you have to specify that feature with the product number.

On offshore oil production platforms, our large facilities will use 10-20 panelview interfaces around an oil and gas producing environment. Purged stainless steel enclosures are exactly what Shell oil uses the most of, plus they protect the panelview from the elements, i.e.
hurricanes in the gulf of mexico.

There are many panel fabrication shops that will make the enclosure to your spec's I'm sure.

As far as cabling, Rockbestos makes alot of the network cabling in CLX form which is classified for class1 div.1 areas.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your comments...

DTAM really doesn't suit customer requirements. Now , i think PVP with Protech's enclosures is the better option as protech is Rockwell's encompass partner.