Clear Major Fault Compactlogix L32E

gab2005

Hi, I have a problem with a Compactlogix L32E, this controller goes to Major Fault sometimes, I need it clear this fault by Controller Fault Handler subroutine, How I do this?, I just read about this and I dont understanding GSV and SSV instruction, code fault showed is: Type 03 , Code 16
Someone haves a subroutine example for this fault code?
Thanks.!

The fault code indicates that a required IO module connection failed.
Check that the io module is properly connected and that the modules are properly mounted and latched together. If this fault is occuring on a CompactLogix you probably need to have the controller fault.

Eliminate the fault, then you won't have to handle it in the program.

We have an L32E that would fault and also drop the program.

A good line filter on the PLC supply power to supress voltage spikes solved all of our problems.

I ran into the same problem. Do you have an analog Resistance or TC/Milli Volt card installed? There is a new firmware update for that problem, I think it's free. Sorry I don't have the link.
Where is that "football headed little guy" when you need him.

Bitmore

Last edited:
Hi, I have a problem with a Compactlogix L32E, this controller goes to Major Fault sometimes, I need it clear this fault by Controller Fault Handler subroutine, How I do this?, I just read about this and I dont understanding GSV and SSV instruction, code fault showed is: Type 03 , Code 16
Someone haves a subroutine example for this fault code?
Thanks.!
right click the I/O modules in rslogix 5000 and uncheck the "major fault when I/O module loses communication with processor" or something like that, you'll find it in the connection tab of the properties for the particular I/O module. This occurs when u lose power to the unit and or any catastrophic events that may occur.
let me know if i was clear enough. the "" is not exactly same but u get the message i hope.

cool

I had this happening on a L32e also.It would happen if the machine was powered down for maintenance work and then powered back up the processor would fault, sometimes even dump the program.It was a new machine so the company sent us a new processor and i installed it but the same thing kept happening.I investigated further and finally figured out it was because of a 2channel analog output card with the internal switch set to external power. What was happening was that the controller would power up and do its check for i/o cards before the external power was up and stable so the processor would detect no voltage and fault. I simply flipped the switch to internal power and the problem went away. I also could have installed a time delay relay to delay the processor powerup to give the external power supply time to stablize but everything did ok with the internal buss power so i left it alone.