COIL conflict warning

babahu

With GE Fanuc Micro I have a "warning coil conflict" on one subroutine but similar code in another has no conflict. Why?

-[FST_SCN]------(R)
followed later by
-[ ]------------(R) (contact is a pulse, i.e. oneshot)

The HMI does a (S) via setpoint operation.
Is the WARNING about no matching (S)?

I get the same WARNING when I have both (S) and (R) on a bit.
The bit is a %M bit.
It works fine but I don't like warnings. What is the "standard"
for (S) and (R)?

Last edited:
It is because they use the same %M address. The fact that it is "1_Shot", (S), or (R) is not a factor.

I get no warning when I have the same %M but just ONE set of
(R) and (S) coils. If I add any more the Warning happens.

I thought that (R) and (S) are able to share a bit???

In the Navigator window, select the "Options" tab. One of the parameters is "Multiple coil use warning". The options are "No warning", "Show as warning", and "Show as error". If you select "No warning", ME shows nothing in the feedback window when you validate a program containing multiple coils with the same address. When you select "Show as warning", ME will flag all multiple uses as warnings, but the program will still validate and can be downloaded. If you select "Show as error", multiple coils with the same address will be flagged as errors and validation will fail.

Incidentally, %T memory is excluded from multiple coil use checking regardless of which option you select.

Vaughn, I always turn it off. What would be nice about the software is if it flagged multiple COIL use and not multiple RESET and SET.

Another thing that is annoying is for years we wrote directly to the timer preset, the second address of a timer. For timer with address %R101 the preset is %R102. When importing older programs this comes out funny. ;) On any new program I deliberately choose a block of %R solely for timer setpoints to avoid this issue.

I get no warning when I have the same %M but just ONE set of
(R) and (S) coils. If I add any more the Warning happens.

I thought that (R) and (S) are able to share a bit???
It does not put up a warning with just one set of (R) and (S) bits because these are designed to go together. (S)=Latch the relay, (R)=Un-Latch the relay.
If you use the same address in more than one place in logic the programmer (you) must keep track of what is happening as ONLY the last rung interpreted with that address will work as "expected". Although there 'may' be an instance where you only want the first use active until the 2nd used rung is reached. But, this is poor programming practice IMO, and should not be done, that is why GEIP gives the programmer 256 %T addresses, they are there to be used as "Temporary" bits or words.

Last edited:
Vaughn, I always turn it off. What would be nice about the software is if it flagged multiple COIL use and not multiple RESET and SET.

Another thing that is annoying is for years we wrote directly to the timer preset, the second address of a timer. For timer with address %R101 the preset is %R102. When importing older programs this comes out funny. ;) On any new program I deliberately choose a block of %R solely for timer set points to avoid this issue.
Not sure what you mean by "funny"? Timers and counters are considered an array of 3 words. I guess the "odd" part is that they went back to "0" base with the First Word 0, second 1, and third 2. The "BEST" way is to name everything and let Proficy handle the addressing. To do this, whenever the software wants an address just type in the address 'type' and let the actual address be inserted automatically, i.e. instead of giving the next timer %R137 just type in "%R".
This will also get you in the "groove" for using the new "Symbolic" systems used in the next generation of PAC, that is replacing the PLC, slowly but surly.:rolleyes:

I'm an old-school address kind of guy. I like my numbers with my tags. I know its going away but at least GE makes it easy to have it my way.

This reminds me of a quote from the movie Airplane:

Rumack: Can you fly this plane, and land it?
Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.
Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

:D

Thanks everyone, I learned a lot, and yet another reason to use the %T! I hate WARNINGS since some later programmer is going to get confused.

yes, BUT, Steve confused me a "bit", so:
if you SET %M1
then %M1 SETS a %M2
then RESET %M1

Result %M will be SET, i.e. at the end %M1 has been reset, but while it was SET it will act that way in the logic, right? i.e. for Physical outputs the ladder evaluates and then outputs, but while traversing the ladders, the various states are valid.

Shirley the Smart Novice

Last edited: