Comm Problem: PV-550 DF1 using USB<> RS232 converter

Scott180zip

Setting up a PanelView-550 to communicate with Compact Logix, using a laptop to set it up. DF1 using USB<> RS232 converter using a BELKIN, continual COM problem. PV will not consistently respond using Autoconfigure using RSLinx Classic. Anyone have any suggestions, sometimes it works - sometimes not but it always crashes. This time I cannot even get it to start. Very unstable. 19200 Baud, 8 bits/ 1 stop no handshaking, BRB. Using A/B cable but need to use a NULL Modem. I gave up on the Laptop communications and connected it hooked to Compact Logix processor RS-485 Port which will not recognize it either.

Note: using PV32 Software

The proper cable for communication between your ConpactLogix's serial port
or your laptop is a straight thru cable.
A USB to Serial adapter that works is the "Keyspan USA-HS19" ( see link below) for one source.

It might also help us help you if you provide the complete catalog number of your PV

http://www.plctrainer.net/

Model No. is 2711-T5A16L1 thanks... Q: Why does the Belkin USB work intermittently?

I don't have the expertize s to answer that. I do know that some adapters work some don't. Others here have had great success with the "Keyspan" brand.