compact logix and maples hmi

irondesk40

Hope someone can lead me in the right direction.
Have a machine that has a compact logix plc and a maples 5071L HMI.
Machine is running fine but trying to figure out how to go on the maples HMI and create a object on the screen so that the operator would enter the text such as for example the word NAME.
Then in the plc if it sees the word NAME was entered then it would execute a certain section of code in the plc
I have experimented with creating a ASCII object on the HMI and creating a new Tag in the plc referenced as a string but not having much luck.
Would anyone have a example they could share?
Thanks

just in case anyone else has to do the same thing.
Finally was able to put enough fires out and sit down and think through it.
In the compact logix i created a new Ascii Tag, then in the Maples using the EZwarePlus software created a Ascii Object and assigned it to the PLC tag and with Data Format set to Unicode and it worked.