Compact Logix database handshaking

csrowland

Okay, here is the situation. My PLC is a compact logix 5000, my HMI a Versa-View running Factorytalk. I need to create a database that contains a list of part numbers and those part numbers will give us certain information about the part (i.e. height, weight, ect.). I am using a bar code scanner to obtain the part number in the plc; then I need to look up the part number in the database on the Versa-View, then handshake the information (there again the height, weight, ect.) that back to the PLC. I have all of the code written for the PLC but am ignorant when it comes to the database and even more ignorant handshaking with it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't really even know how to start :sick: Thanks

I havent used Factorytalk standard (only ME) but I would assume that it would have SQL commands.
My advice would be to create an ODBC connection to the database on the versaview and then run an appropriately configured SQL command in factorytalk when a new part number arrives. This will return the parameters you need which you can then transfer down to the PLC.
It should be relatively easy to program, though if you havent used databases before, there will be a steep learning curve.

Thanks Chris. No I have never programed SQL before so I know that I have alot ahead on me. Do you have any suggestions or references that would give examples? anything would help!