Compact logix to fanuc controller communications

kentuckytech

We are getting a new robotic palletizer installed this coming weekend and i was wondering if there is a way to choose the robot stacking pattern from the hmi (panelview plus 1000 via ethernet to fanuc controller ethernet port)instead of having to use the teaching pendant as wew are worried about operators screwing with other settings? Thanks for any help you can give.

What model controller and teach pendant do you have?

You can set up PLC to robot communications to select the unit load, which the PLC could get from the PanelView. I have some older robots running Fanuc PalletTool, and we use that feature on one of them. The programs that interchange data via RIO is a bit weird and clunky, but it works. I am not sure how the setup for ethernet works, but I would expect that the fanuc folks can help you set that up.

Be sure to get all the manuals you can with the robot. They don't exactly give away a pdf library like some mfg...you gotta order the manuals the old-fashioned way in most cases, but a new robot may come with manuals on CD.

My experience is limited to my three robots, but if yours happens to be a similar era controller and software, I may be able to help more.

Paul

assumeing its a fanuc series robot as well.... i designed a pallet building application that used Group inputs and outputs from the robot controller to the PLC/HMI where the operator could select on the HMI the layout of the pallet (from 1 of 5 options) as well as the type of stretch wraping involved (4 options)

Controls_Engineer79, It is a fanuc robot, and what you did is exactly what i want to do. could you send me a copy of your ladder logic so that i could mimic it? Thanks!

okiePc, the teach pendant is an ipendant and the robot is a M410iB. I didn't see a model # for the controller. Any help would be apreciated!

I have a similar inquiry, as I need a way to set up 11 Allen Bradley Panelview Pluses in a paper mill to communicate with the drives run by a GE Fanuc 90-70. I have the latest Rockwell Automation Toolkit, but they have almost nothing on their website or in thhe help files on how to do this.

okiePc, the teach pendant is an ipendant and the robot is a M410iB. I didn't see a model # for the controller. Any help would be apreciated!

My robots are all M410xx. We have one with an ipendant and it is controlled by an RJ3 controller. Your robot should have an F-number associated with it. You should be able to find a tag with the F-number on the robot itself and on the controller.

That F-Number will be very useful when contacting Fanuc if they have up to date records of the robot hardware/software.

Also, when you boot up the robot, the software versions should appear on the screen.

Hope this helps,
Paul

You can also read and write via MSG to Your robot. I don't write messages to mine because we have the Ethernet/IP package, but I am tracking errors. I don't know if that package is required to MSG?

Alarm msg.JPG

You can call a different program from a PLC by using one of the following methods.
1. PNS program number select (up to 255 different programs0
2. RSR robot service request (limited to 8 different programs?)
Commonly used method is PNS. Calls PNS0001 to PNS0255. Then from each PNS program you can call different jobs for the robot.

I have posted a working RSlogix program in the following link. We have used hardwired signals to control the robot in this application. All you have to do is to replace the hard wired inputs/outputs with your ethernet signals. I can send you a Controllogix interface in a couple days time if you are desperate. We usualy map 16bytes in/16 bytes/out between the robot and the PLC. If you need any help regarding the PLC or the robot send me an email.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=33507

Thanks for everyone's input, we are still ironing out startup issues so it might be several days before i can attempt to do what i wanted to do with the communications end. The guys that have installed the robot and conveying system said they tried doing what i want to do but they had more problems tring to do it than it was worth. I kind of feel like they just didn't know what they were doing as far as communicating to the robot via the panelview plus. I understand that tweaks and adjustments will still need to be made from the pendant but we don't want the operators messing with it so that is why i wanted to be able to select the unit load and also be able to send the robot home or to the maintenance position from the panelview.

We usually program the robots that the operator do not have to touch the pendant. It's locked away in a box with a clear window to see the TP screen. Even if the robot crashed for some reason then they select a program called "RECOVERY" to move the robot to home position safely from any where within the normal operation area. I totally understand your concern about operators using the pendant.