CompactBlock I/O on Devicenet

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Can someone please clue me in on how to set up a CompactBlock module with expansion on Devicenet? I have a 1791D-16B0 input module with a 1791D-OB16PX expansion. My scanner is a 1747-SDN. The problem is that I can't seem to set up the I/O assembly correctly in RSNetworx to access the expansion output module. Parameter 12 reads "Discrete Expansion OK" while online so I know it's seeing the module, but the only assemblies available in Parameter 13 are "Input Data ONLY" and "Input Data w/ Expansion Status." Both options result in 2 bytes of input data and 0 bytes of output data being shown in the I/O Data tab. I should be seeing 2 bytes of output data for the expansion module. I do have the latest EDS file for the CompactBlock.

As you have seen, the Produced data size is selected directly by Parameter 13 for Input Data or Input Data + Status.

The Consumed data is selected indirectly by Parameter 61, "Expansion Select".

When you select "w/ 16 Out exp." in Parameter 61, the Output assembly changes to 2 Bytes. You'll see this in the "I/O Data" tab of the applet.

Make sure you get RSNetworx version 9. Several customers (and myself) have found out that RSLinx Classic 2.54 breaks some of the RSEDS.DLL functions of RSNetworx v7 and v8.

Ken, thanks for your response. The problem is that Param61 doesn't seem to be available in the latest EDS file. (It is referenced in the file itself but it doesn't show up in RSNetworx.) I initially had an older EDS file and was able to modify Param61, but when I tried to download I received some errors that the device parameters did not match the EDS parameters. So I had to update the EDS file to 3.021, which eliminated the errors but now I can't see or change Param61. Is there some modification I can make in the EDS file to make this parameter visible?

P.S. I'm running RSNetworx CPR 9 SR 1.

compactblock.jpg

How strange.

I have EDS file version 3.020 for the CompactBlock device, and Parameter 61 is at the bottom of the second tab, "Parameters".

parameter61.PNG

Ken, can you post your EDS file? I'd like to compare it to mine. Unfortunately I didn't save it when I went to 3.021.

1791d.jpg

Curiouser and curiouser. I remember a problem with RSLinx 2.54 and RSNetworx 8 where parameters that weren't part of a Group wouldn't show up in RSEDS, but this seems different.

Here's the 3.020 EDS file.

The Link Path for Parameter 61 is "" in the 3.020 file, and simply blank in the 3.021 file. I wonder if that could be it, or if that's just the result of using a slightly different EDS syntax standard ?

Here's the error I get when I try to download using the 3.020 EDS file:
"Address 30: Communication Error(0xC) 'Error response received: Object does not exist.', SCIA(0x10, 0xF, 0x3D, 0x1), Param61"

I also get a device revision mismatch (3.003 in device vs. 3.002 in EDS) which is resolved.

Using the 3.021 EDS file eliminates the errors but I also cannot see or modify Param61.

I did try playing with the 3.020 EDS file a little bit. When I eliminated the "" in the Param61 link path, I got the same error above for Assem111 (which references Param61). Eliminating the "" from the link path in Assem111 got rid of all errors but also caused Param61 to disappear from the config screen.

I also tried disconnecting the expansion module and replacing the base module with a spare--same result.

Last edited:
Problem solved!

I updated my EDS back to 3.021. A few help statements in the EDS file pushed me in the right direction:

Param61: "Select the Expansion used at this node. This selection only afffects data size for scanner and RSLogix. This parameter is not stored in the module because the module automatically detects the expansion."

Param13: "Choose the I/O assembly that you would like this module to produce. The assemblies are defined in the user's guide. Note! You must change the scanner's consumed (Rx) data size for this module to match the assembly that you have chosen. This can be done by selecting 'Edit I/O parameters' from the scanner's scanlist tab."

In the 1747-SDN configuration, I forced the polled I/O connection to 3 bytes input and 2 bytes output and ignored the warning. That's all it took. I would suspect that Param61 was removed in the latest EDS since the expansion module is auto-detected.

Perfect timing, now I can go home and enjoy my weekend. (y)