CompactFlash brands for Red Lion G3

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I'm looking to purchase a large quantity of CompactFlash cards to have on hand for our G3 panels. Since the G3 seems to be picky about card brands I want to make sure I pick one that won't have compatibility issues. In the past I've used the plain Sandisk 2GB cards (non-Ultra non-Extreme) and these have worked well but they don't seem to be available anymore. I've read good reports here about the Sandisk Ultra, but what about the Ultra II? Or the Extreme? The latter two seem to be more readily available online. eBay is an option but I'm wary of counterfeits.

My understanding is that the G3 can only address 2GB but larger cards can be formatted for this size, is that correct?

What about the CF-SD adapters, has anyone tried to use these in a G3?

I'm looking to purchase a large quantity of CompactFlash cards to have on hand for our G3 panels. Since the G3 seems to be picky about card brands I want to make sure I pick one that won't have compatibility issues. In the past I've used the plain Sandisk 2GB cards (non-Ultra non-Extreme) and these have worked well but they don't seem to be available anymore. I've read good reports here about the Sandisk Ultra, but what about the Ultra II? Or the Extreme? The latter two seem to be more readily available online. eBay is an option but I'm wary of counterfeits.

My understanding is that the G3 can only address 2GB but larger cards can be formatted for this size, is that correct?

What about the CF-SD adapters, has anyone tried to use these in a G3?

I only use SanDisk, and have used each of the types that you list. Never had a problem.

Yes, the G3xx can only access 2GB and larger ones can be formatted to 2GB. I haven't done this, because I can still find 2GB, but that is what Redlion says.

I was told by Redlion that SD Cards are slower than CF and that is at least one of the reasons that they use CF instead. Keep that in mind if you try one of the adapters.

Sandisk used to be a safe bet for cards but something has recently changed in their cards in the Ultra line. The Ultra line seems to be the only like customers can get anymore, but they don't always work. We are trying to determine what might have changed but in the meantime the only cards I know work are the ones we sell.

Thanks
Jeremy

According to Sandisk, they are no longer manufacturing 2GB CompactFlash cards. All the ones you see for sale online are old stock.

So I guess I will buy some 4GB Ultras and format them in the G3. I'm still using Crimson 2 on some of our units; will they work with the 4GB cards?