CompactLogix ethernet communications

From your 'edit' note, I think you probably caught this, but you need to go to RS Linx--Tools--EDS Hardware Installation Tool to register the EDS files.

Steve, for setting the IP address, you only need to worry about the tab shown in the screen shot. You don't have to enter anything for an address on the "general" tab. I believe the general tab is for information only.

As the others have suggested, I'm sure that you will be able to see it now that the EDS has been registered.

But entering an IP address on the general tab will do nothing. Even if you download it.

How did you set the IP address initially. Was it in RSLinx when you were connected via serial?

To tell you the truth, I don't know for sure how I established the IP address. Initially I had all sorts of frustrations because it was my first time with RS Logix5000, so there were no recent communications paths to choose from. When I clicked "Go Online" under the "Communications" menu, it told me "Failed to go online... communications path needed", but when I went to "Select recent communication path", there weren't any recent paths to choose from and everything was grayed out. I think I went to "Who Active" and used that to select the serial connection as the project path. Then I had to flash the processor and download the project files. After that I tried to set up the ethernet driver and establish ethernet communications.

I'm a bit confused with what exactly has been done.

What I would do tomorrow is ping it. If it is successful, check RSLinx for communications. There is no reason that RSLinx would not see it as long as you have the correct EDS and can ping it.

If it is not successful, I would connect via the serial port, look at the properties for the ethernet port in RSLinx and make sure the IP address is set correctly. It sounds like you may have set it correctly, but I would verify it in RSLinx.

Hopefully you will find you can see it fine after the EDS file was installed.