Modicon PLC Ethernet IP To CompactLogix Communications

plcengineer

We have a Modicon PLC that is connected to the Ethernet Network and we have three CompactLogix PLC's connected on this network as well.. I need to message between the two and was wandering if anyone had done this before??? I should be able to use Message statements from the Compactlogix etc..

Thanks,

I believe Modicon and AB speak different dialects of Ethernet. I have always had to install and set up a Prosoft module in the AB rack such as the MVI69-MNET card. This will speak to the Modbus controller in Modbus TCP/IP.

Probably wont help you at this stage, but worth passing on. The new Modicon plcs will have Ethernet/IP built in. The Quantum ethernet/IP module is already available, so this may help if using Quantums

This modicon PLC is connected to the Ethernet IP network as well as the CompactLogix.. So, can I do messaging without additional hardware?

This modicon PLC is connected to the Ethernet IP network as well as the CompactLogix.. So, can I do messaging without additional hardware?

My understanding that the Modicon Ethernet/IP (CIP) capability was not upgradable via firmware, ie you have to get hardware that specifically supports it when it is released. This is based off an offhand comment by a Schneider rep many months ago, so take that with a grain of salt.

If you do not use the Modicon CIP enabled network module, you will need to get a third party module such as the aforementioned Prosoft module which works very well.