CompactLogix L30ER - GSV Help

Fighting with a GSV instruction, program is from a L32ER and moving program to a L30ER. Trying to use GSV as a comms active check. Other tech is telling me the 32 splits cpu and ethernet internally? Wont let us use GSV on the L30

Can you elaborate on “won’t let us use?” I don’t see any reason why you can’t use the GSV on a L30.

And what version of studio 5000 are you using? If there is a conflict it’s probably within the software firmware rev and not the controller.

the software version revision is 21.03 while the controller was just flashed to 21.011. Installed firmware support is up to v32. The problem is in the instance name. it was tagged to the localENB on the l32er and keeps giving an error as its invalid reference now. you cannot select the ethernet as the option but like it is on the L32er program.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

The 1769-L32E and the 1769-L30 are from different controller hardware generations and handle their Ethernet ports a little differently.

The -L32E is physically and logically like a daughtercard in Slot 0, while the -L30 considers the Ethernet port to be part of the CPU.

Which exact object are you addressing with the GSV ?

My guess is that you're reading the Module class, which will let you read some attributes of the Ethernet daughtercard on the 1769-L32E by naming the "localENBT" object as the Instance.

What is your actual goal; do you want to know if the CompactLogix port is physically plugged in, or what the state of the LEDs is, or what the logical connection to a downstream device is ?

Yes the goal is to know what state the communication is in and latch an error if no communication. I haven't used a GSV before so this is new to me. do I need to go a different route other then a GSV?

If you can post your program, folks may be able to explain in detail.

In general, the physical status of the network port itself isn't as important (or as easy to read) as the logical status of the devices connected via that port.

When you use the GSV to read the Module object's Error Code or Mode value, you can use that result to determine if the module's connection is running.

There is an example in the 1756-PM015 diagnostic programming manual:

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm015_-en-p.pdf

And there are numerous threads on this forum about using those objects.

If your devices are distributed I/O like FLEX or POINT, you can use the built-in Slot status tags to determine the connection status; all 32 bits = True when the connection breaks, so the integer value = -1.

Also, is the gsv in an AOI? I don’t know the exact versions but some earlier versions don’t support a GSV within an AOI.

Here is the particular rung in question, this is what worked with our L32, trying to get it work on L30, go to download program into L30 and get a

Error: Rung 0, GSV, Operand 1: Invalid reference to undefined object.

Thanks for posting that !

That rung is a great example of how to use the EntryStatus object to determine the connection status to a module in the chassis of a ControlLogix or CompactLogix, or on a network.

It is not particularly useful to use it on the Ethernet "root bridge" itself, or the Ethernet network port of the controller. If those fail, then all the connections routed through them will fail as well.

In fact, that rung probably never showed an error even when the 1769-L32E was unplugged from the network. The Ethernet "module" of that generation of CompactLogix is permanently mounted inside the CPU module case.

So you can safely delete that rung from your 1769-L30ER version of the program, especially if there are rungs that address the actual I/O modules.

Okay, that makes sense, is there a way you recommend to set something up to send a signal to HMI that the PLC is running/not faulted?

Some background, this filler used to he on a SLC5 and was upgraded to L32 by a contractor, being told L32s are "out of date" by our supplier now, trying to move to something our local supplier keeps in stock, which was the L30. We mainly do maintain/troubleshoot side of our PLCs, so this is something were struggling to figure out.

It depends on the HMI.

Some HMIs (like Rockwell's PanelView Plus) can read the controller's Run/Prog/Fault status directly.

Others, you could implement a watchdog feature.

Oh, good, PV+ can do this.

Look for the Pre-Defined Items in FactoryTalk Linx/RSLinx Enterprise. I think @IsPresent and @Mode will return the network connection status and run/prog/fault.