CompactLogix & Mitsubishi D700

panchosan

Hi Guys,

I am trying to find the correct drive for my application. According to specs:
PLC - Allen Bradley
Drive - Mitsubishi
Network - Ethernet IP
1 HP motor

In order to reduce costs due I need to duplicate this in 36 motors, I choose Compact Logix and for VFD D700. However I never used Mitsubishi before. I will appreciate if someone has an example using RSLogix 5000 and D700 over Ethernet.

All help greatfully appreciated
Regards

Francisco Sánchez

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum !

Are you running 36 drives from one CompactLogix, or just one drive per CompactLogix ?

Which model of CompactLogix controller do you plan on using ? Each model of controller has a limit to the number of EtherNet/IP devices it can connect to.

From my brief Googling, it looks like the D700 has a less powerful network interface than the big A700 series drives. It's similar to how Allen-Bradley did the PowerFlex 4-series: the drive has Modbus RTU built in, and there's an external network gateway device.

In the case of the D700, the recommended network gateway is called an ETH-1000, built in the USA by ICC Designs.

http://www.iccdesigns.com/eth-1000.html

Welcome to the Forum !

Are you running 36 drives from one CompactLogix, or just one drive per CompactLogix ?

Which model of CompactLogix controller do you plan on using ? Each model of controller has a limit to the number of EtherNet/IP devices it can connect to.

From my brief Googling, it looks like the D700 has a less powerful network interface than the big A700 series drives. It's similar to how Allen-Bradley did the PowerFlex 4-series: the drive has Modbus RTU built in, and there's an external network gateway device.

In the case of the D700, the recommended network gateway is called an ETH-1000, built in the USA by ICC Designs.

http://www.iccdesigns.com/eth-1000.html
Thank you Ken Roach!
I think CompactLogix 5370 Controllers is the best option if I need I/O control to VFD. The idea is to use a 8 Pole Power Rail and 36 carriers. So, I am trying to reduce the costs in each carrier Box.

What is a "carrier" in your system ? What function do the drives perform on this "carrier" ?

Will you have a hardwired Ethernet network, or are you considering wireless ?

How fast do the drives need to respond to the controller ?

Will a CompactLogix be onboard each "carrier", or are you using just one CompactLogix to control all 36 "carriers" ?