CompactLogix MSG Instruction Ethernet to NonStandard Device

Barry Kirk

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've got an AB Compact Logix L32E processor. I'd like it to talk to a Zumbach 8100 Capactitance Gauge using Ethernet.

Unfortunately the Zumbach doesn't understand any protocols except it's own.

I can set up hyperterminal to talk to the Zumbach over ethernet.

Using HostAddress 10.255.10.55 and Port Number 100

Connect using TCP/IP (Winsock)

From Hyperterminal, I type: d8000<cr><lf>

and the zumbach replies with d8000 3.26<cr><lf>

How do I set up a message instruction in the compact Logix to communicate with this device?

You will have to use ascii strings to communicate in the case.It can send out ascii strings over the serial port.
Look at the help files in RS5000 or the AB web site.

That 8000 command that you send from hyperterminal sounds possibly like it might be using a Modbus protocol. If so there is a modbus module that you could purchase.

This is not Serial... It is Ethernet.

There is a Prosoft module that AB claims could do the job.

That's not an acceptable answer. I'm planning on building about 50 enclosures each with it's own PLC.

I'm trying to make the decision whether to go Siemens or AB.

And I've let my Siemens and AB vendors both know that they have to prove that they can talk to the Zumbach without using an extra card.

For logix platform you must use an additional module, controller can't do RAW ASCII directly
In addition to prosoft module you can use 1756-EWEB / 1768-EWEB modules and write own protocol using Open Socket interface

Last edited:
I'm looking at using Compact Logix ... Not Control Logix...

However, Siemens says they can do it real easy through there PLC with no additional hardware.

If I can't do this with the Ethernet port on a 1769-32E, then I'll probably go Siemens.