CompactLogix MSG Path

eight_bools

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey Guys

Having some trouble again with message path, I thought I had these figured out but I've not been able to get this one working. I attached a diagram of what I am trying to do, and my best description of what I have.

I'm trying to MSG from a CompactLogix to CompactLogix through a ControlLogix backplane. I called Rockwell tech support and the guy I spoke to was not familiar and wasn't sure if what I was trying to do would even work. He suggested that I use the PLC in the ControlLogix rack as a data buffer.

Just wanted to check to see if anyone had experience with this, it seems like it should work but maybe its not possible.

4 - CompactLogix A (Port A2) - PLC A
192.168.1.10 - EN2Tin ControlLogix - Rack C
1 - Backplane - Rack C
0- Slot 1 L81 - Rack C
2- Ethernet Port
192.168.3.1 - CompactLogix (Port A1) - PLC B

MSG_Path.jpg

I can't imagine why this would not work. What error are you getting on your message instruction and how did you set it up?

Well it seems like I always miss something super simple, I assumed it was the message path since I have struggled with this before. The error message was just a "General Error"

It ended up being a data type miss match between the processors. Trying to read a DINT[10] into an INT[10]. I guess on a positive note, I had the communication path correct so I am learning from my mistakes.

Thanks to everyone!

Glad to hear it worked for you!
Funny, I have seen a slew of data type mismatch mistakes of late, must be something in the air :p