CompactLogix Safety w/ local Modules

studiologe

Hello all,

I have a requirement to spec. a PLC system with local Safety modules.
However, I'm unable to add local safety I/O modules. I have tried it with the following controller:
1769-L33ERMS
5069-L340ERS2
Am I missing an important step? Why are there no local safety modules available to insert at the local backplane?
I/O Configuration -> 1769 Backplane, ...

I'm only able to insert local digital I/O.

Please advise

I believe that local Safety I/O is only available for 1756 control logix or 5069 Compact (new form factor)
I typically use Point I/O but have an upcoming project and am planning to use Flex 5000.

Am I missing an important step? Why are there no local safety modules available to insert at the local backplane?
Nope. You're not missing anything.
You will have to ask Rockwell why they never made local safety I/O modules for the Compact GuardLogix.

I'm not sure why having it local would be a requirement. We often have POINT I/O with safety I/O in the same cabinet, just not in the same rack.

If it really is a requirement you will have get the Compact 5000 or look elsewhere.

The above advice is all correct - if you're using a 1769 safety controller, you'll have to add a 1734-AENT(R) to your ethernet tree and put some 1734-IB8S and 1734-OB8S on a separate chassis. I have done this many times. Or, as jstolaruk mentioned, the 5069 safety controllers have local safety modules available.

What version of Logix Designer do you have? The "entry level" versions don't allow safety programming - I'm not 100% sure if it would prevent you from even adding safety modules to the project, or if it just prevents your from being able to open the safety logic. But regardless, if you don't have the full version of Logix and/or the safety add-on, you won't be able to program your safety PLC anyway.