CompactLogix vs Contrologix and Ethernet I/P

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I spent a great deal of time trying to get a Compactlogix to communicate with an Altivar 61/71 vfd using EthernetIP. Had no luck, timeout error was all I could get.

Had a partner try the same technique I was using on a Contrologix and it worked immediately.

Is there a fundamental difference between these platforms that would prevent this particular type of communication from working on the smaller platform?

If there is, SquareD doesnt know about it. Thier suggestion was that the VFD had too old of a firmware revision and the drive needed to be sent in to be flashed.

Is there a fundamental difference between these platforms that would prevent this particular type of communication from working on the smaller platform?

No. ControlLogix and CompactLogix use the exact same protocol to communicate over EtherNet/IP.

There might be something subtle in the configuration (like a keying or a size error) or a bug somewhere in the firmware of one of the devices, but it is not a fundamental or obvious difference.

a straw at which to grasp ...

just a thought - but on the CompactLogix system - were you using any Periodic Tasks - and if so, how many, and what were the Priority and Period settings for each of those tasks? ...

reason for asking:

COMPACT-Logix uses a "dedicated task" to process its I/O signals - and that I/O task always has a priority of 6 ... the CONTROL-Logix doesn't have the same "I/O Task" arrangement ... so that is ONE difference between the two platforms ... I don't remember running any experiments on this concept related to Ethernet/IP communications - but MAYBE (just MAYBE) this MIGHT be related to your problem ...

Last edited:
I do recall looking at your posts regarding Priority. It was on my mind but this particular machine is doing nothing so I discounted it. I figured I was doing somthing wrong until it worked on the bigger platform.

since it's just a "test rig" situation - you might want to consider posting BOTH of the ACD files (for the CompactLogix and for the ControlLogix) and maybe someone will be able to spot something that you've missed ...

I guess we are assuming a few things but re-reading your post makes me wonder if our assumption is correct so let's back track a bit.

You said the other guy did the same on contrologix, however, the path from a compactlogix to this VFD vs a contrologix would likely be slightly different. Have you verify the path? Can you see it in RSLinx?

I could, but theres no logic involved. It's just a module added to the tree. Set an IP, type the assemblies you want and done. Well on one of them anyway.

Harryting
I'm not even getting that far. The module itself fails to connect. I haven't gotten to MSG part yet. (though that also works on the contrologix)
RSLinx is not involved on this. this is PLC to VFD traffic.

Did you record the exact error code ?

You're sure both the controller and the VFD have valid IP addresses on the same IP subnet, right ?

16#0204 as I recall. It meant connection timeout when I looked it up.

and yes they are all on the same subnet. I can open them both up from my workstation and watch one work while the other fails. The settings are identical. I even deleted it and did it a second time with the same result.

You did disconnect the CompactLogix from the network while the ControlLogix was trying to connect, didn't you ?

The Altivar probably cannot allow an Exclusive Owner connection to more than one controller.

I have encountered an electronic keying problem with a certain version of RSLogix 5000 v20.00 or v20.01, but that gave a specific electronic keying failure error code, not the ordinary 0x0204 timeout. And the workaround was to do what you already did: delete and re-enter the device in the I/O tree.

Wireshark may be the best tool to intercept the connection-creation process and see where it's going wrong.

No, even with the compactlogix trying, the contrologix connected right away. And I was trying with the compactlogix first for most of an afternoon before I tried the other one.
I am using v17.2 on the compactlogix. v19 on the Controllogix
I will set up my tap next and see what the compactlogix is doing.

It is a easy setup. Set the ethernet ip card as a generic Ethernet module in your plc compactlogix or contrologix. Is that how yours is setup?