connect labtop to allen bradley control logix plc through ethernet hub

rhnew2005

Hello Everyone
I am trying to get online to a control logix plc. I get as far as seeing the ethernet hub in rs linx but , but rs linx doesnt see the backplane active of plc. Has anyone had similar issue ? I am using a ethernet cable that I used to connect with a 5/05 with no issues. When I connected to the 5/05 it was a direct connection though , no ethernet hub. Any help would be appreciated.

Being able to ping the IP address sucsessfully is a good start as Rob pointed out, here are a couple of other things to check once you have tried that.

Are you using ETH driver in RSLinx or are you using ETHIP Driver?

Here is something to try if you have not already.

Go into RSLinx and look to see if you have a ETH driver set up already. (If you are connecting to a 5/05 successfully already,then I will bet that you do have this driver set up already in RSLinx)
If you do High Light it and press configure driver and see if the IP address of the Processor you are trying to connect to is shown in the configuration.
If not you will need to add this IP address manually.

If you do not have a ETH driver, then make a new ETH driver,
Then press Configure Driver and MANUALLY enter the IP address of the processor you want to connect to.
Say ok or accept or what ever it ask for to save this driver and then close that dialog box but keep RSLinx up and running.

Now go to RSWho and expand your ETH Driver and see if you can see the backplane and the 00 processor in RSLinx.
If you can see the backplane and processor here then you are on the right path.

Now go to your Logix5000 software select communications > Who Active Go ON LINE, once this comes up select the ETH Driver and expand it, then navigate to the backplane and expand that, you should see your processor now, highlight it and say go online.
(You are using Logix5000 software to try to connect to this Control Logix Processor right?? Logix500 will not work, sounds obvious enough but you never know.)

Give this a shot and see if you can connect, if not supply more info and possibly screen shots and someone will help walk you though it.

BCS

Last edited:
No , sounds like a needed step I will try tomorrow when I return to work. Could I also comunicate with panel view this way or are the steps different with factory talk view studio. The place I worked at before was a bit different because everything was wireless.

You will also need to make sure that your laptop's ethernet card is on the same subnet as the CLX's ethernet card, if you haven't done that already.

I tried pinging the ip of plc with no luck. The screen says it is not a recognized command. But rs linx sees an active hub ip and panel views but for plc there an x. Also local area network is working. Cant post screen shot from my phone.

First of all, if your target is a ControlLogix processor, you will first need to mitigate the 1756-EN(B, 2, 3)T(R) EtherNet/IP bridge servicing the Logix Backplane; ControlLogix CPUs do not have Ethernet ports; only the CompactLogix CPU family does.
You will have to try pinging an 1756-ENxT(R) of the respective subnet, module located within the CLX system Local Chassis.
Do you "see" any EtherNet/IP bridges when Linx RSWho browsing with an EtherNet/IP driver?

That's it.
Is your laptop's NIC IP Address on the same subnet as the address scrolling on the bridge's display? (Identical first three octets- xxx.yyy.zzz. ...)
Does your Linx RSWho EtherNet/IP driver "see" it?
If you answer to the first question is "Yes" and "No" for the second one then try using an Ethernet (not EtherNet/IP) Linx driver and enter the bridge's IP Address manually.(Driver/Properties/Browse IP Addresses list).

I have tried that and again it sees the hub where hmi and control logix is hooked up. The hub or switch has a Similar ip to plc. But no ping

The "hub" you are referring to is probably a Managed Switch; there are reasons for Ethernet switch management, one of which is access limitation.
Let's lock something in place though :
You cannot ping a ControlLogix CPU since it does not have an Ethernet port..
Did you try pinging the IP Address scrolling on the ENBT's display?
Are you patched into the same "hub" or somewhere else on the LAN?

rhnew2005

Need to understand how all your stuff is connected.
What is the Controllogix connected to?
What is connected to the hub?
Is it a hub or a switch?

Detail the Ethernet wiring layout for us