connect labtop to allen bradley control logix plc through ethernet hub

Hold on a sec...
You are using a laptop PC and the RSLinx RSWho interface for troubleshooting, aren't you?
I hope you are not troubleshooting network connectivity from an HMI...
If you are using a Linx running PC with a NIC addressed to the respective subnet and patched into said "hub", do you "see" any other devices when looking at the Linx RSWho interface?

I tried pinging the ip of plc with no luck. The screen says it is not a recognized command. But rs linx sees an active hub ip and panel views but for plc there an x. Also local area network is working. Cant post screen shot from my phone.

You may not have a path to c:\Windows\System32 where ping.exe lives.

Yes on question mark, unregonized device from driver I installed

Okay...Now we are getting somewhere...
What revision of RSLinx are you running? It appears that your PC does not have the EtherNet/IP bridge .eds file installed.

Go to :
http://www.ab.com/networks/eds/cgi-bin/search.cgi

and download the .eds file for your EtherNet/IP bridge; if you do not know the exact Cat. No. and firmware level, download all revisions for all 1756-ENBT, 1756-EN2T and 1756-EN3T modules; there are small files and it shouldn't take too long.
Once downloaded, put them in the same folder and run the RSLinx EDS Wizard (Programs/Rockwell Software/RSLinx/Tools) and register the entire .eds directory (the folder you put the downloads into).

Once the proper .eds file had been registered, your RSWho browser should be able to "see" the etherNet/IP bridge as what it is and then you should be able to browse the Logix Backplane all the way to the CLX controller.

Will definitely try that , funny you mention that, because I see a separate icon onhome screen that reads rs linx 2. I am new to this plant and it seems that t.v. he techs left this place a while ago. So needless to say am left.

RSLinx Classic Menu Bar/Help/About RSLinx Classic should tell you the installed revision level; the latest is 3.73.
Latest RSLinx revisions have all pertinent .eds information embedded within.
You could try upgrading RSLinx, however, depending of the required FactoryTalk Services Platform level, you might need to update all other installed Rockwell Software applications.

I tried that but still the same issue. The rs linx driver was set up a while ago and worked . Because when expanding in rs who the plc ip is there along with panel view which I can communi ate with factory talk.

I conneated to a 5/05 with ethernet cable. When I do the saMe Rs linx Ab Ethip shows an active 1769_c32 ethernet port which is ethernet switch ,panel view but an x for control logix 1756_EN2T/A.

I conneated to a 5/05 with ethernet cable. When I do the saMe Rs linx Ab Ethip shows an active 1769_c32 ethernet port which is ethernet switch ,panel view but an x for control logix 1756_EN2T/A.

There is no such thing as a 1769_c32
If you want help you need to post accurate information.

An Ethernet switch does not have an address and will NEVER show up in RSLinx.

What is the IP scrolling across the EN2T ?

Do you know what a Crossover Ethernet cable is? Do you have one?

Last edited:
192.168.1.10 for 1769 L32e Ethernet port (small green flag icon in rs linx). 192.168.1.101 1756 EN2T/A for control logix 5561 and 192.168.1.11 panel view. Cross over cable has a different wire combination. I believe I have been using it otherwise how is rs linx seeing ethernet port and panel view.