Connect Mitsubishi FX to the Ethernet

Third party company is Beijer my guess.

Looks like they will let me use prototype before weekend :p
Cute little module about 2x1x1 only!
This is a good example of small efficient business vs. slow moving giant.

Contr_Conn said:
Some news:
Just got back from local friends at www.plccables.com.
They showed me prototype Ethernet adapter for FX PLC and even let me take a picture ;)
I saw it was working with GX Developer without any visible problems, as well as with Visual Basic.

They told me it will cost $120-130 each.

So far they are not sure if it will work with all FX PLCs, because of 5V DC power consumtion (250ma).
They really don't like to use external PS, but unit is capable to accept external +5V source.
FX2N series should be OK.
I saw it was working with FX0S

Hi, is this plccables ethernet-module working also with FX0S (=old FX plc) ?
Regardas
Seppo

Seppo:

Yes, it is working with FX0S, at least this the only PLC I have today here.
--------
I got the adapter last night to try until Monday. It is still not in the box, but I saw box siting on the bench.
It came with 3ft cord, but I was told, that they will not make it longer than 2ft, most likely 1ft (30cm).
Module plugs into the 8 pin programming port and takes the power out of CPU.

It comes with a FREE serial port redirect driver: for Beijer module you have to buy it separately!

Here is a problem they have that stopping them from releasing the module:
Module requires about 240 ma from 5V supply.
They can't get any info if programming port is capable to provide this power to the module.
Looks like it will work AS IS:
- with all FX1N and FX0N PLCs, if you have only one additional module instead of reccomened two and not using high power modules like profibus.
- with all FX2N and FX2NC PLC, as long as you add 240ma in extension power calculations.

It works with FX0S-14MR-ES test PLC, but it is possible I am overloading it: switching power supply on PLC makes some noise but no overload trip.

They told me that I can plug in an external power source 5V - this will automatically disable usage of PLC PS, but I don't like a wall transformer type adapter.

They told me that adapter will be redesigned next week to accomodate external 24DC power source:
it will be small DIN-Rail type of housing with short pigtail 8 pin cable to plug into th CPU port.
This will add probably add $20-30 to the price :(

I will play with adapter till Monday and provide info for you guys and my friends at plccables.com

If someone needs more info or have comments - ask me or ask plccables directly.

Hello

I saw also that there is E150 and E150ET oprator panels available in USA. E150ET panel is unknown to me, so can someone give me some more data of it, more than Mitsubishi has on web pages.
Can you also give me the price in USA of both panels (E150 nad E150ET). E150ET panel has ethernet and alarms. Is this alarm similar to the E200 panel alarm system.

You have now tested plccables ethernet module with FX plc. Can you get it working with E150ET panel, together other FX plc and Q plc also. I mean that have you allready made some application programs also.

This is intresting so give me the information if possible.

Regars
Seppo

Seppo
I don't have info on E150, I will ask my local guy, if I find him ;)

Speaking of Ethernet adapter, I tested it with computer only.
I don't have any Mitsu HMIs, I am sure plccables don't have it also.

GX developer V7 works just fine with virtual com port: module comes with redirector driver, I selected COM6, and pointed GX Developer to COM6. Everithing else is like you program other serial. Works really fast.
Unfortunately my version of GX can't acess FX other Ethernet directly withut a redirector.
I also tried it with Visual Basic accessing directly IP address.
It reacts exactly same way, if I use serial.

I have only FX0 available so testing was limited.
I think it pushed FX0 PS to the limit.
It should not be a problem with FX2N (C) and FX1N as long as you count this module with total load.

I spoke with plccables guys, and they said they will put it in the enclosure today and will sell it at the prototype price ($129+shipping) to anyone who wants to try it.
Contact plccables if you want this module! Email

Same time they will continue to design DIN rail mounted device with 24VDC power supply which will be around $160-180, may be more :(

Just want to bring this topic up:

Looks like 24VDC FX-Ethernet (Din-rail version) form www.plccables.com will be ready in a few days - I saw it working a couple days ago, but without housing.

They told me that they have one device connected to the internet along with FX PLC, so people can see live device working, monitor and change program.
Only requirement - you need GX developer with FX PLC support.
If someone interested - send them email over their website or let me know.

It is interesting to see if Internet will put significant delays and probelms. It works great over local network.

Hello Contr_Conn

I have GX-IEC-Developer program with all Melsec cpu support, so is it possible to use this program to see test FX. Please tell how to get connection to the site.

Regards
Seppo

All you need is an HMI which connects to the Net. Check the E-150ET.

Hello Pierre

You know the operator panel E150ET. Can you tell me how expensive this panel is or have you Mitsubishi list price for this.

Regards
Seppo

Seppo, I am the customer site today, ask them directly.
As far as I know they are testing Din-Rail version now and site may be down (I am not sure).
You need any Windows based software to access a virtual COM port.
Download and install virtual COM port driver from their site.

Contr_Conn said:
Seppo, I am the customer site today, ask them directly.
As far as I know they are testing Din-Rail version now and site may be down (I am not sure).
You need any Windows based software to access a virtual COM port.
Download and install virtual COM port driver from their site.

Hello Contr_Conn

Is the ethernet cable for FX0S available allready, Have you tested it anywhere. I am intresting to know if you can exchange data between two FX0S plcs, one Q01 plc and E150ET terminal.

Please let me know, and thank you for price info about E-teminals.

I cannot log as plccables user because there are not any European countries on list.

Ragards
Seppo