Connecting Panelview 800 to Micrologix 1100... Newbie Help

Skaletskik

Hello Everyone,
I am a college student at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville. My professor is having me integrate a Panelview 800 HMI into a Micrologix 1100 PLC. Only problem is I have never done any of this before and I am more than lost. I am starting from just figuring out how to program basic ladder logic a week ago. I currently have RSlogix 500, LS Linx, and Connected Components Workbench. I am mainly struggling on how to connect the HMI onto my programming computer along with setting the correct IP address.

I apologize in advance for all of the beginner questions I will be asking, but this project is very exciting and I do enjoy what I am doing a lot. I am just struggling immensely with it. My professor has not been helping me so I am kind of on my own here. Hopefully you guys will be able to help me out here. Thank you all very much.

Kyle S.

Welcome to the forum! It will help if you post which models of PLC and HMI you are using. The numbers will be written on the devices and look something like 2711R-T4T and 1763-L1BBB.

Having said that, when you power the HMI up, it should have a configuration screen that allows you to access a number of features. For network settings refer to p55.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711r-um001_-en-e.pdf

Once you have done that. Start a new CCW project, and add the HMI to it with the correct model number. I usually set up the network address on the terminal and then connect CCW through ethernet.

The part numbers I am working with are, 1763-L16BWA /B and 2711R-T4T. So I have managed to connect my computer to my panelview 800 and download a very basic program onto it with a single momentary push button which I am trying to start a 24VDC fan with. I am currently having issues with addressing the tags because I am getting a communication error when I connect my HMI to my PLC and press the digital pushbutton I assigned the tag to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are the HMI/PLC connected with serial or Ethernet? Is the error that you have no comms at all, or that just the one tag isn't working?

I connected the computer, PLC, and panelview 800 together via an Ethernet switch and cables. I was able to ping the IP addresses on both the Panelview and the PLC from the computer so I don't think there is an issue there.

When I wrote the program on the Panelview from Connected Components Workbench I assigned a momentary pushbutton on my panelview a tag with the address of I:0/9

When I programmed my micrologix 1100 I wrote the program so when input I:0/9 is true is turns on my output which in this case happens to be a 24 VDC fan. I am unsure as to where I went wrong especially since it is clear the panelview and the PLC can communicate together.

I tried both the 'B' and 'N' words with no results. I was addressing them the same in my conncected components and in my RSlogix. The addresses were N7:0/9 and B3:0/9 ...

I have hard wired switches and pushbuttons on this PLC as well but i left terminal 9 empty hence why I am using it but I am sure if it matters.

Thank you for all the help

I and O are addressing physical inputs or outputs. Don't try to write to these from your HMI.

I suspect the comms is not configured correctly and/or the tag isn't configured correctly. In your HMI program (CCW), what have you configured for the communications? If you are using Ethernet, it should be something along the lines of "Ethernet | Allen-Bradley MicroLogix/ENI" as the protocol. Enter the network address of your ML1100. Next, go to the tag editor and add your tag in the "external" tab. Try using one of your B addresses here.

what comm error are you getting on the HMI? i just setup a few of these with some ML1400s through ethernet. on the HMI itself i was chasing an issue for a while, which ended up being my own rushing/stupidity in the end, and forgot to put the subnet mask on the HMI to match the subnet mask i had on the PLC. 255.255.255.0 in my case. also i assume you set the IP to STATIC on the PLC and the HMI?

edit: what was said above in regards to not directly addressing IO from the HMI is a good habit to get into. as someone who just started learning this stuff a year ago ive read on here many times, and was also told by AB tech support, that its not the best plan of attack to try and control IO from the HMI.

Last edited: