Control logics chassis's

thompson7716

I need to connect tw control logics chassis together. This is my first time doing so. Could someone please tell me what I need to talk to both of these chassis. I realize every thing does go through the backplane

You need a communications bridge module in each chassis.
My preference is to use a 1756-CNB (or 1756-CNBR) ControlNet bridge module in each chassis. For this, you will also need RSNetworx for ControlNet.

You can also use an Ethernet bridge in each chassis (1756-ENBT), but for I/O and controls, I prefer ControlNet.

jimbo3123 said:
DeviceNet is an option as well.
Once again, ControlNet is probably the best choice.

DeviceNet is possible, but due to the size restrictions, DeviceNet can choke on remote chassis with large data sizes (Counter Modules, Analogs, etc).

Even so, DeviceNet still requires the Configuration Software.

Oakley said:
Another option (albeit not such a good one) is RIO.

I don't believe that RIO is an option for a remote CLX chassis (The DHRIO card will operate as an RIO scanner, but not as an adapter like an ASB card). A-B doesn't make an RIO adapter for ControlLogix.

I belive you are correct Jimbo. I have used the RIO modules for communications between CLX processors, but not for RIO.

Please explain :-
I need to connect tw control logics chassis together.

and :-
what I need to talk to both of these chassis

Do both of these chassis contain a controllogix processor and you need to pass data between the controllers ?

or are you simply trying to set-up a remote chassis for additinal I/O ?

How far apart are the two chassis ?

Do you have an existing Ethernet connection to either chassis for HMI or SCADA ?

I used to think ControlNet was the "bees-knees", but having used ethernet/ip on 100 Mbs, and, coupled with the advantage of not needing to schedule the connection, I would go for ethernet. If you definately don't need an external ethernet connection into the system, you COULD use an ethernet cross-over cable between the two ENBT or EN2T (ethernet bridge modules), but I would recommend using an ethernet switch, that would give you an ethernet programming connection, much much faster than serial.

Tell us more about what the two chassis are doing.