Control Logix and Altivar 71 over Ethernet Help Required

MatsterAu

Hi All,

Having an issue on site with getting an Altivar 71 with an Ethernet module to communicate correctly with RSLogix 5000 on the Allen Bradley 104 & 103 control and output settings.
As soon as I give the drive a command it goes into "External Fault Com"
If I change the setup of the drive to use a standard control word setting on 101 & 102 then the drive works correctly.

Wondering if anyone else has had the same issue.
The only difference seems to be the structure of the control and output words, which I can change easily in the code and the fact that the Allen Bradley protocol starts on input word 2 instead of 0.

All other settings in the drive are identical when testing.
Wondering if there's something I've missed.
I haven't used the EDS file because the setup shows it as optional

103 and 104 are Allen Bradley Drive Logic Commands.
you have to turn on word 0 Bit 1 to start and give it a speed reference in word 1. 15123 is 60Hz.

Same issue - Control Logix and Altivar 71 over Ethernet Help Required

Hey Guys,

We are setting up a mill here and are using assembles 104/103 also. We get the same issue.

We have followed the detail in the set-up guide for Ethernet/IP on the drives and have got to the point where we are in NET RDY (Network and ready) and when we give the start command we see no response from the drive. The confusing thing is that we see the correct status bits back from the drive and all comms are error free..... I am guessing that we have missed a parameter in the drive but not clear what...... Did you find a resolution for this and can you prove any help?

Check in the control menu(ctl) if your reference channel1 is set to NET. 1st thing i would check

Do you have the ethernet/ip cards manual. Can mail it to you if you like. just pm me

Last edited:
Update

Hey,

I have moved on from the idea of using the AB assembles (103/104) and have now set things up as native using the 100/101 assembles. This has got us a massive step forward.

I now have the CMD at NCA1 and LFRD at NCA2 (Defaults) and I can see the Reference in the header of the HMI and I can effect the State of the drive... but I believe all I am doing is forcing the state Drive rather than actually controlling the drive cause I can not get it to run.

Also I am looking at the ETA State on NMA1 and RFRD on NMA2 ...... is this correct or what should they be ..... this is wrecking my head at this stage.

So are you writing to the cmd word? register 8501(frequency) or 8601(rpm)?
What bits are you switching to start the drive?
Attached is the bit list in the cmd word.
Also the the ETA words bits to check if youre getting the correct readings back from the drive
Again did you check what i said about fr1 must be set to "net"

Capture.jpg Capture2.jpg

To control the drive using comms you probably need to follow the drivecom (now called DSP402) standard. You have to follow a set sequence to start the drive. If you have a look at the following manual
http://www.engineering.schneider-el...use_main/atv71_com_parameters_user_manual.pdf on page 22 the state map is described. I know the manual is referring to a Can interface but it is the same sequence for ModbusTCP and I guess for EthernetIP
Hope this helps

Geoffc is correct. I i remember you write a value of 6 then 7 then 15 for a fwd start.
Obviously you have to monitor things before just starting it

Sorted

Hey Guys,

I had the communications set-up correctly but I needed to follow the control methods as ye both stated and it worked perfectly.... the document was ideal... also the captures made my data mapping very easy.

It is funny/annoying though that there is the "Allen-Bradley Powerflex Replacement" method (which the greater part of the Ethernet/IP document details) appears not to function!!

Anyway thanks for getting me over the finish line - Cheers 🍻