Control Logix GSV for Power Supply Status

lijochrn

Hello Members

We have a controllogix redundancy setup and need to display the status of redundancy in panelview.

I have found in the manual the way to display CPU and RM module status.
But the client wants power supply status 1756-PA75R (CPU Racks &Remote IO) and the Interface module(EN4TR, remote rack) as well.

Can anyone guide me on this? How to check the status of powersupply via GSV instruction?

Last edited:
The GSV only reads controller status, not status from other modules. So we can't use that for the power supply. But you can use it to check the communication status with your other devices, like the ENxT modules. Keep in mind though that you are reading the controller's status of those devices. Normally when you want status information directly from a module you would use the MSG instruction to get that information. And there may be more available than what you can get with a GSV.

The power supplies do not support any method communicating with them. So we can't use the GSV or the MSG.

Fortunately, the redundant power supplies have a relay on them. You wire that relay back to a digital input module where you will see a "1" (closed) whenever the power supply is functioning normally and a "0" (open) when the supply is not powered. Each redundant supply has these relays so you wire them back to different digital inputs so you can very easily see the status of each power supply just like any other digital input.

Check out this document.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1756-in620_-en-p.pdf

OG

Last edited:
GSV for connection status works on any module in the IO tree.

Power supply status isn’t available.

Last edited:
And just to be clear, with the GSV you aren't actually reading those modules directly. You are reading the Controller's status for that module. For example if two controllers are communicating with the same module, That module could appear to be running for one controller and faulted to the other controller.

OG

As others have mentioned, there is no way to communicate with the power supplies, they do not have the ability to communicate with the PLC. Also as mentioned, on redundant power supplies there is a contact for if the PSU is working that you can wire to a DI, but only on redundant PSU.

Thank You All for the answers.
We told the client its not possible at all via communication.

Finally decided to use the contacts in Power Supply but with an additional DI card. Our DI was full so the client asked for the communication options.

Thanks again to all

And just to be clear, with the GSV you aren't actually reading those modules directly. You are reading the Controller's status for that module. For example if two controllers are communicating with the same module, That module could appear to be running for one controller and faulted to the other controller.

OG

I am learning new things of AB here.
Thank You brother

GSV for connection status works on any module in the IO tree.

Power supply status isn’t available.

GSV and RM2 module is possible for simple monitoring? Just module health?

I found an AOI for the fibre status of the RM2 module.
But I wonder how to use GSV for the RM2 module

The GSV only reads controller status, not status from other modules. So we can't use that for the power supply. But you can use it to check the communication status with your other devices, like the ENxT modules. Keep in mind though that you are reading the controller's status of those devices. Normally when you want status information directly from a module you would use the MSG instruction to get that information. And there may be more available than what you can get with a GSV.

The power supplies do not support any method communicating with them. So we can't use the GSV or the MSG.

Fortunately, the redundant power supplies have a relay on them. You wire that relay back to a digital input module where you will see a "1" (closed) whenever the power supply is functioning normally and a "0" (open) when the supply is not powered. Each redundant supply has these relays so you wire them back to different digital inputs so you can very easily see the status of each power supply just like any other digital input.

Check out this document.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1756-in620_-en-p.pdf

OG

Thank you for the explanation