ControlNet Amperage Question

icehube

I was wondering if there is a way to get the amperage from a powerflex 700 over controlnet to an hmi or even wonderware? Any suggestions thanks.

Sure !

Is there a controller involved as well or do you want to go directly from the HMI to the drive ?

I do this regularly with MSG instructions from a ControlLogix to the 20-COMM-C module on the PowerFlex drive.

if i can from the hmi to the drive to diplay it. and yes the module is the 20-comm-c. Sounds like i am talking to the right guy lol

My instinct would be to use a MSG instruction in the ControlLogix and read the data tag with your HMI.

Not all HMI devices or software are going to have the right kind of drivers to talk directly to the PowerFlex drive.

Exactly which HMI devices are you using, and if Wonderware what type and revision of IOServer ? I don't know anything about configuring Wonderware.

Its a Proface hmi 3600. I am actually not sure the version. I know its the newest though because it was just upgraded. If i could just display it in my controllogix with a msg command it would be totally awesome and a step in the right direction.

Probably will need to setup a datalink in the drive that points to the amperage and it would populate itself into the I/O tag structure.

The simplest thing to do is use the MSG instruction to read the Parameter Object. The "Instance Number" in the MSG configuration = the "Parameter Number" in the drive. Output Current is Parameter 3.

The datatype of Output Current is a DINT, and the units are 0.1 amperes. So a value of "321" in the tag PF700_Param_3 would mean 32.1 Amperes.

On the "Path" tab you will select the PowerFlex 700 drive in the I/O tree.

CNet_MSG1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Ken, seems simple enough there...the very last tab where it says tag, do i make that the same as the destination?

I never look at the "Tag" tab, but what it's referring to is the control tag for the MSG instruction. Every MSG instruction needs a control tag that holds the addressing and configuration and status data, and it's of data type MESSAGE.

In this case the MSG instruction control tag is "Get_VFD_Parameter"

The actual value of Parameter 3 goes into the destination tag, a DINT type tag named "PF700_Param_3".