Conversion from PanelBuilder to Factory Talk

m.peric87

Hello guys,

I'm trying to figure out what is the problem.

During conversion HMI I got log. which says I have a problem with LSB.

So I have state:
Stopped
Running
Warning
Alarm

It is connected with ::[plc1]N10:0
But when I check syntax I have error on line 1, column 2

So I dont know what is the problem...maybe someone of you have experience???

Log.jpg Factory talk.jpg plc.jpg Syntax error.jpg

There is no easy fix for this.

You have a multi-state indicator that is looking for a single value (integer) in FactoryTalk. It does not support LSB (least significant bit).

PanelBuilder did support that LSB, so the state of your indicator would match the least significant bit:
Ex. 0000 0010 would show the 2nd state in PanelBuilder. However, in FactoryTalk that would show the 3rd state as the integer value is 2 (state values of 0, 1, 2).

Ex. 0000 0011 would show the 1st state in PanelBuilder. But in FactoryTalk that would show the 4th state.

You can either change the tag connection into a long, complicated "If then else" expression
OR
Change your PLC code so that the tag value goes through integer changes, instead of setting individual bits.

Thank you guys,

Unfortunatelly customer doesnt allow to change code in plc,
so changes can be done only in panel.

"You can either change the tag connection into a long, complicated "If then else" expression
OR"
@arlenjacobs
Can you please explain how I can do that?

Maybe there is a better way, but here is one method:

Code:
If (Tag & 1) Then 1 Else  If (Tag & 2) Then 2 Else  If (Tag & 4) Then 3 Else 0

Sometimes you have to do a bit shift to get the relevant bit all the way over to the LSB.

Use ">>" or "<<".

Thanks you guys.

@arlenjacobs, I made something with your instruction.
So it seams good and I hope so it will work.

Now I have problem with:
Screen 8 - Alarm Summary: Alarm List at (0, 16) does not support displaying alarms that do not require acknowledgement.

Screen 9 - Alarm History: Alarm List at (0, 16) does not support displaying alarms that do not require acknowledgement.

Can this issues be solved or it will work however...?

Screen 150 - Fault Code: Message display object will be converted to Multistate Indicator object at (1, 10).

I'm just not sure is it normal conversion.
Is this ok, or we need to make some changes?

Regarding Screens 8 and 9 conversion: the FTV Alarm Server setup does not support 'doesn't need to be acknowledged' or individual bit acknowledged alarms (like the PB32 developed systems did); moreover, FTV Alarms cannot be Remote 'Clear/All'; any declared alarm will need to be acknowledged first and then cleared on order to be removed from the list (presuming the alarm condition does not exist anymore); the 'Acknowledge/All' FTV system command or 'Remote Acknowledge/All' tags are the only designated operators.

All FTV Alarms are treated equally and there shouldn't be any issues of operating the system as such; similar functionality with the PB32 configured systems is not possible; habits will need to be changed...:D...You could configure any alarm message to not be displayed or the respective messages could be deleted altogether.

As for Screen 150, you might want to post a screen shot of the PB32 application object (with Properties) which the conversion utility is intending to convert into a Multistate Indicator FTV object; the FTV Local Message Display object has a slightly different functionality than the PB32 one; the PB32 to FTV stated equivalent for the Message Display is a Multistae Indicator, however, the functionality of the conversion would probably be different than the original one.

Last edited:
Regarding Screens 8 and 9 conversion: the FTV Alarm Server setup does not support 'doesn't need to be acknowledged' or individual bit acknowledged alarms (like the PB32 developed systems did); moreover, FTV Alarms cannot be Remote 'Clear/All'; any declared alarm will need to be acknowledged first and then cleared on order to be removed from the list (presuming the alarm condition does not exist anymore); the 'Acknowledge/All' FTV system command or 'Remote Acknowledge/All' tags are the only designated operators.

All FTV Alarms are treated equally and there shouldn't be any issues of operating the system as such; similar functionality with the PB32 configured systems is not possible; habits will need to be changed...:D...You could configure any alarm message to not be displayed or the respective messages could be deleted altogether.

As for Screen 150, you might want to post a screen shot of the PB32 application object (with Properties) which the conversion utility is intending to convert into a Multistate Indicator FTV object; the FTV Local Message Display object has a slightly different functionality than the PB32 one; the PB32 to FTV stated equivalent for the Message Display is a Multistae Indicator, however, the functionality of the conversion would probably be different than the original one.

This panel is in the in the field and they are connected to this panel thru DCS MODBUS from Control Room.
So it means if they have some problem they dont need to walk to panel, just press button for clear alarm and start work.

Is it possibile to make it work same like before with this new panel without necessery to acknowlegde alarm?

Meanwhile here are picture from Screen 150 properties.

Thanks a lot

Properties.jpg Objects.jpg

So it means if they have some problem they dont need to walk to panel, just press button for clear alarm and start work.

You cannot remotely clear alarms on FTV terminals; you could only remotely acknowledge them; use the old "Remote Clear" tag as "Remote Ack/Ack All" within Alarms Setup/Triggers or Advanced tab.

Is it possibile to make it work same like before with this new panel without necessery to acknowlegde alarm?

As stated above, no you cannot.

You could remotely acknowledge the triggered alarms which's conditions have been mitigated and then remotely close the Alarm List display using the same old 'Remote Clear' pushbutton related tag (Alam Setup/Advanced tab/Remote close display). If any alarm conditions still exist though the display will pop up again.

You could clear the alarms only from the terminal; if there aren't any active alarm conditions you could remotely close the Alarm List even if the previous alarms have not been cleared.

[/QUOTE]

As for the Multistate Indicator replacing the PB32 Mesage Display you should be fine; create as many states as needed, 'connect' the Indicator to the respective word tag, enter the old Message Text under the FTV object state's 'Caption" and assign states 'Values' depending of the connected tag functional numerical value.