Courses

UK Homer

Hi me again

While reading one of the other posts I thought I would just ask if anyone knows of any courses that would lead to a real qualification that would be run near Sheffield, South Yorkshire England.

Sort of like to Btec Level

Cost not inportant the Boss is willing to PAY as he is getting a bit worried about me trying things live in the Plant! ( Only option at present!!!)

Thanxs again in advance

I don't think anyone is going to post any links after seeing what happen to the last guy, but if you want to e-mail me using my e-mail addy from this board, I will give you a link to a place that offers online courses. I have NO affilation with them at all, I just know they offer online courses. So I am not getting an money for recommending a link, just so you know that. E-mail me.

Hi Homer,

I have looked into this before,the only thing i could come up with was part of the hnc course which is a plc module,you will find the details at www.colu.co.uk.The Rockwell/Allen Bradley is also a recognised qual. in the uk but is only a btec accredit.

I have done an RS Logix's 500 course about 2yrs ago. Held by Allen Bradley. They held it at Birmingham, Sutton Coalfield. Nearest to yours and my location. You would probably need to stay over. It was a 5-day course. (At that time) It’s an excellent course and they give you a good run-around of the instruction set. I remember we programmed a car wash, by the end of the course we made it do everything. Well near enough!
If cost is no option then I think they do a "passport to training" option so you can pick a few courses run by AB of your choice.

Other than that you could do a Btec HNC, on that course you might have to do a PLC project anyway which is good for experience. This of course depends on the college you attend. It also depends on your boss, you may need 1 day and 1 night (eve) at college for 2 yrs (For HNC) will he give you the time off?

On the other hand buy a spare PLC for the one you have and give it a bash you’re self. You can't break much with nothing connected to your I/O. It’s a good way of learning. It also helps if you can work with others who are already experienced programmers!
Of course if you do it the last way you don’t have any bits of paper to take to show your next employer!
Good luck.

p.s. In my job I am not a careers adviser.

Funny old world; Wakefield college just posted next years courses through my letter box and they do a PLC course. ref WF9PLC, £130, 10 weeks, Tuesday evenings, 6pm to 8:30pm. Their website is given as http://www.wakcoll.ac.uk (I have not checked the link) starting september. Now Wakefield is only down the road from you mate.

edit; I have now checked the link and it is ok

Last edited:
Thankyou for all your help people I will now take this further.

We use Seimens at work we have about 30 on site but no spares and they wont buy me one to play with they always say Just take the M/c out of production when you are ready. One day it will go bang and I will say told you so but until then I will just have to do as I am told. ( I think they must have had there brains remove at manager school)

I am not in the UK but you said SIEMENS and I do know this, they have courses online for both the S7-200 and S7-300/400.
SIEMENS TRAINING

I am not sure about your area and the distributors but here my distributor offered a 1 day training on the S7-200 which included the plc and adapter (for you to keep)for $269 US (which I think is around 176 british pounds) but I think you had to purchase or have the software, not sure on that. May want to check with your Siemens supplier. This wouldnt be certification but it may help you familiarize yourself with the plc and software.