Creating a second LAN configuration for Siemens

MK42 check this out.. it helped feed the confusion:

is That 1394 Net Adapter built in .. a Firewire connection? .. if so, why does it say "connected"?

Hah, I can see that being confusing. I think it must be firewire, but I have no idea why it would think it was connected. On PCs I've had in the past with firewire ports, I disabled them. I got similarly confusing messages, and they just got in the way.

Wireless networks are a little pickier....you can only have 1 connected, so you have to also have a wired connection for dual network connections.
Usually it is easier to connect up the wireless side first and then plug in wired side. I have found some wireless connections take a back seat when a wired connection is active.

This is part of my problem too.. keeping the wireless connection, when plugging into the automation system with the wired LAN.

I have also found it's a mater of connecting wireless first, then connect the wired LAN. (Quite important for LogMeIn)

I'm reading about tricks involving Making the "metric" for LAN larger than wireless.. and not including "gateway" info...

Still trying to figure out what it all means as far as a "solution".. to the problem of loosing your WiFi when also connected to wired LAN.

Last edited:
Interesting NetNathan, thanks. This is what started the thread.
What did you do to get two wired LAN interfaces in your PC? .. That's kinda what I'm not understanding. Do you have two network drivers, and two RG45 connectors?

OOps.. You explained in your next post ... :)
Yes I have a RJ45 Ethernet card in a PCI slot on the PC with 2 ports on it, and a Wireless PCI card in another PC slot also.
Some of my systems have a RJ45 Ethernet connection on the motherboard and I also have dual Ethernet card...for a total of 3 wired Ethernet if desired.
I have also done 1 wired Ethernet network for PLC, 1 wired Ethernet network for Modbus TCP and the last wired Ethernet port for the company. NO Issues.

NETSH and TCP/IP Manager.... been there done that. Too complicated...
NetSetMan is best and easiest BY FAR.
NetSetMan even allows you to change IP setup from the Windows log in screen...before you log in.

If you want to find out who is on the network and what addresses are used...sweet.
free...Angry IP Scanner....http://angryip.org/

Last edited:
Hay.. Thanks Nathan ... Good stuff I just finished loading NetSetMan on 4 PC's ... For about 5 years, I'v had an IP Scanner, on a MAC, for a Home WiFi network using a large area Access Point by PicoStation M2 HP from UbiQuiti (Still going strong in the rain an' sun, on a pole, on a roof.

Thanks for the "AngryIP" .. I'll definitely snag it .. :)
Regards, Michael

NetSetMan is worth even paying for the license. I have profiles for the base IP on my devices, so I can readily get to them initially for setup. I also maintain a DHCP profile.
I also have profiles for wireless settings also.

AngryIP Scanner is a great network analyzer for working and available IP addresses.

Last edited:
I think that what talks for NETSH is:
It is free.
It is simple (in my opinion). For switching the IP, it is just a single line of code.
You do not have to install any software or utility (no conflict with the IT übermasters).

I simply have a number of NETSH batch files, each with a name like "NETSH_customerYY_lanXX.bat".
Same with ROUTE, just a number of batch files, each one for a particular machine.

MK42 check this out.. it helped feed the confusion:

is That 1394 Net Adapter built in .. a Firewire connection? .. if so, why does it say "connected"?

NETSH and TCP/IP Manager.... been there done that. Too complicated...
NetSetMan is best and easiest BY FAR.
NetSetMan even allows you to change IP setup from the Windows log in screen...before you log in.

If you want to find out who is on the network and what addresses are used...sweet.
free...Angry IP Scanner....http://angryip.org/

I don't think TCP/IP manager is very complicated.. so I'm really curious about NetSetMan, definitely gonna check it out soon.

Is there also any program that can not only switch TCP/IP settings but also switch WIFI networks at the same time?

Is there also any program that can not only switch TCP/IP settings but also switch WIFI networks at the same time?

NetSetMan......

Another great kudo from a software company.......If you buy a license for $25......It NEVER expires, upgrades are free. I bought a license to upgrade to NetSetMan Pro because I wanted more than 5 profiles.

Last edited:
NetSetMan......

Another great kudo from a software company.......If you buy a license for $25......It NEVER expires, upgrades are free. I bought a license to upgrade to NetSetMan Pro because I wanted more than 5 profiles.

Sorry for the late reply, in the meanwhile I tried NetSetMan and have already forgotten about tcp/ip-man :D

tnx a lot