Creating Pop up screens in RS View

Ken Roach said:
R_C probably has some specific function he wants from the "popup displays" that he needed to use VBA to implement.

It's usually MUCH easier than he described. A button very simply performs a Run Display function, and the "/P" option specifies a Parameter File to pass a set of Tag Placeholders to that Display, which is often an "On Top" type and smaller than the other displays.

The "popup" display then uses Tag Placeholders instead of tags in the object connections. Usually I have a string tag for the label (or a multistate indicator) and of course tags for the displayed value, the entered value, and the Enter handshake.

This multi-function "popup" display still counts against the number of licensed displays in RSView SE, but it only counts once.... you can have up to 500 parameter files so theoretically you could use the popup screen 500 times but only take up one licensed Display.

RSView SE does have a User Guide that is installed in PDF format along with the software... I'm pretty sure you can get it in hardcopy too. Tag Placeholders are described in Chapter 16, which is the first part of Volume 2. From RSView Studio, go to Help -> Online Books -> User's Guide Volume 2.

Maybe I should have specified that I am working with a distributed application in SE. You cannot issue the command 'Display' from a remote client.
There is a technote about this in the knowledgebase at AB.com I will try to find it.