crimson 3 and usb download issues

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
has anyone else had issues with downloading to the new graphite panels using usb? It seems like every one of our techs has had issues using usb. When we plug into the panel, we see it listed as a device, but it just will not download via usb. We tried calling support, and we went thru a few things but they ended up saying that they cant help us, which was a surprise from red lion support.

Anyway, what happens is when I click the download button, it says "checking Hardware Revision" then about 10 seconds later is says "Error Opening Communications Port".

Has anyone seen this or figured out a way to fix it? We have updated crimson, tried different computers, and different usb cables. Its also doing this on more than one panel, so it isnt a panel problem.

Havent used any Graphite but I have seen a similar problem on G3s when I have updated Crimson and the panel I am connecting to was downloaded to with an older version.
The usb wont work until i download serially and the firmware is updated in the panel.

I am not sure if maybe an issues with the driver Windows sees for the panel after Crimson is updated. May be a question for Redlion.

Really had a lot of trouble when two different techs had different revs of the software and kept going back and forth updating panels.

I carry a memory card writer (combo CF and SD) with me, plus spare Red Lion compatible CF and SD cards, in case the download is hanging. I've run across situations where the USB just won't work - and it has been that way since I can remember. I have never been able to figure out how to reproduce the problem so I have not talked to Red Lion about these intermittents, especially since there is a workaround.

If the USB fails, I write the image to the CF or SD card (make sure it's a card model that works on a Red Lion) from my laptop, power down the Red Lion, pop the memory card in to the Red Lion, power it up and let the Red Lion update via CF/SD.

Last edited:
Ill have to look at the sd card option. I even see this on brand new panels, so it doesnt seem to be an issue with someone downloading to it previously with an older version.

I wish red lion would acknowledge the issue. I found that the response of "sorry, cant help you" unsatisfactory, especially to a customer thats bought about 40 of these in the last year.

Yes, diat150 I am in complete agreement.

I have found the Red Lion to be an amazingly reliable OIT, easy to work with, and capable of handling most every project I run across. This is the one and only bug that has plagued their OITs for years - at least that I have personally experienced. I have used other much more expensive SCADA packages: they seem to have way more bugs that I have to constantly work around. So overall I would consider the Red Lion to always be my first choice to crank out a reliable user interface quickly. Although I have warmed up to the Weintek (KEP/Nematron/Maple) HMIs too...

My first job out of college was in Support. I dreaded those phone calls: "I have problem X, but no way to reproduce it". I have noticed that new users seem to run into this USB hang problem more often than seasoned users but I do still occasionally have it happen to me. But I have never reported it to Red Lion because I can't reproduce it - I WONDER HOW MANY OTHER PEOPLE HAVE ALSO NOT REPORTED THIS BUG?

I was in Rochester, NY on a Sunday when the USB hung on a G310. I had no memory card writer with me - nor did I have a G-compatible CF card. I drove all over town, spent 5 hours, finally found a writer and an old dusty CF card that would work on the Red Lion. I learned my lesson: carry a writer and RL-compatible memory card ALL THE TIME. Now I am paranoid about leaving town unless I check for that writer & RL-compatible memory card in my laptop bag.

Yes, diat150 I am in complete agreement.

I have found the Red Lion to be an amazingly reliable OIT, easy to work with, and capable of handling most every project I run across. This is the one and only bug that has plagued their OITs for years - at least that I have personally experienced. I have used other much more expensive SCADA packages: they seem to have way more bugs that I have to constantly work around. So overall I would consider the Red Lion to always be my first choice to crank out a reliable user interface quickly. Although I have warmed up to the Weintek (KEP/Nematron/Maple) HMIs too...

My first job out of college was in Support. I dreaded those phone calls: "I have problem X, but no way to reproduce it". I have noticed that new users seem to run into this USB hang problem more often than seasoned users but I do still occasionally have it happen to me. But I have never reported it to Red Lion because I can't reproduce it - I WONDER HOW MANY OTHER PEOPLE HAVE ALSO NOT REPORTED THIS BUG?

I was in Rochester, NY on a Sunday when the USB hung on a G310. I had no memory card writer with me - nor did I have a G-compatible CF card. I drove all over town, spent 5 hours, finally found a writer and an old dusty CF card that would work on the Red Lion. I learned my lesson: carry a writer and RL-compatible memory card ALL THE TIME. Now I am paranoid about leaving town unless I check for that writer & RL-compatible memory card in my laptop bag.

Let me offer one other suggestion. Buy the Redlion RS-232 Download cable and throw it in your bag. I have found this works to recover from an error all the way down to having to reload the boot code - when nothing else will work.

They aren't expensive and will save you a huge amount of time.

If you don't have a serial port, buy a usb to serial port from amazon and you are almost always good to go.