Crimson USB

Tstevic

Several weeks ago, communications with a Red Lion CSMSTR worked fine. I just tried to connect and make a change to the program and I get a "Unable to Open Port" error. The help says I have a bad USB driver, but I have gone through and deleted each driver one by one to no avail. The driver installed that came with the software is for NT only, so I can not manually add the driver. I have also tried two other cables. It seems to me that my laptop in not seeing the RL controller. Any suggestions or experience with this?

Capture1.PNG Capture2.PNG

I have had occasional problems with USB devices not working. I have not had it happen with Red Lion gear yet. In most cases, I can use a different USB port and it straightens it out. Plug in to a different port. Wait until you see the driver install or load for that port, then try again.

Once in a great while, I have to reinstall a program or a driver. I am not sure how that would work with Crimson, but since it installs and uninstalls pretty darn quick, that would be my 2nd thing to try after trying a different port.

What OS are you running?

OkiePC,

Yes, I tried every port I have on the computer. I have also deleted all the USB drivers from the device manager and let Windows reinstall them. When I plug the cable into the port, I get no reaction from Windows at all. It is running Windows 7.

Monday, I am going to attempt with a different CSMSTR. If that fails and I get no response from Red Lion, I guess a reinstall of Crimson would be next.

Red Lion support is good. During business hours, by phone with them I have always gotten to the right person quick and gotten fast answers.

On pages 16-17 of my Crimson 3 User Manual there are some troubleshooting tips for USB drivers in case you hadn't looked there yet.

Last edited:
Tetvic. When you are connecting with Redlion device give it some time to install its driver, then go to Device manager in USB portion and see in Universal serial bus driver that device driver is installed or not, usually driver name G3... Then try to attempt download or upload your software. Usually "Error to open communication port" is happening when you have installed Antivirus, VPN, other communication drivers, like PLC softwares, you also need Admin rights on particular computer. I faced this problem once and then I changed laptop (Borrow from my colleague) then I got it.

As a follow up. I rebooted my laptop, and started Crimson as the only application running. I attempted to reconnect to the Red Lion process controller and was successful!!!

The USB tree in the device manager looked the same as it did when the connection failed. So, I am chalking it up as a case of freaking magic.

I love technology.

As a follow up. I rebooted my laptop, and started Crimson as the only application running. I attempted to reconnect to the Red Lion process controller and was successful!!!

The USB tree in the device manager looked the same as it did when the connection failed. So, I am chalking it up as a case of freaking magic.

I love technology.

Its not just you... I build cables for the Red Lion HMI's and the stars need to be just perfect, then you also need to hold one hand over your head and the other over the HMI and most of the time it will work, this is not just with my cables, I also have theirs done the same thing over and over

I have checked everything so I think its in the Crimson software