Cross brand Ethernet comms

Jeebs

Is it really that hard to create/support cross brand ethernet protocols?

/rant

Siemens to Rockwell.
How to connect from Siemens to Compactlogix 1769-L35E/A through Ethernet?
Ethernet/IP is not supported by Siemens so thought Modbus TCP might be an option. That hope also flew out of the window.

Is there any other way except using third party gateways?

Siemens Rockwell

Anybus makes a module that takes in Rockwell's Ethernet on one side and Siemens Ethernet on the other. I am working on getting it to pass information from one network. http://www.hms.se/products/gatewayindex.shtml
I have the module moving information but it is breaking up the REAL numbers I am trying to move into two parts. Hope the link helps. Sorry I realize this is still a third party gateway.

I really think that the gateway option is the most cost effective solution.
Even if you would have Modbus TCP available on the CompactLogix, you would have to get a CP3..card installed on the Siemens PLC + get the Modbus TCP FBs, etc....

I work for HMS (Anybus), so might be a bit bias....:)
Here is link to our Profinet to EtherNet/IP gateway:
http://www.anybus.com/support/support.asp?PID=301&ProdType=Anybus X-gateway

//Patrick L

I really think that the gateway option is the most cost effective solution.
Even if you would have Modbus TCP available on the CompactLogix, you would have to get a CP3..card installed on the Siemens PLC + get the Modbus TCP FBs, etc....

The S7-400 is there just to communicate with all the machines on the lines. It used to have Profibus, we switched to Ethernet some time ago. We already have one working Modbus TCP solution, adding another won't be an issue.

You can write your own protocol in logic. :)

I'm listening ...... :D

The problem here is:
I have no experience with Rockwell whatsoever.
I do not have access to any Rockwell hardware.
They are installing a new production line, consisting of several Rockwell driven machines (in an all Siemens plant lol).
My task is to provide a solution for data acquisition of these new machines. With virtually no budget. yay for me.
While I would love to write my own protocol, I just don't have the time nor resources for it.
( damn compactlogix for not being able to send raw data :D )

The fun part is, it's all theory atm. I have no way of testing it until the machines get here. yay for me.

Workarounds are plenty. Ranging from OPC, to WinCC Flex PC runtime, to Applicom-cards. (yay for private stock)
All of this gives me one more machine to support, one more possible failure, etc etc etc. And I just wanted a nice clean solution.

Think I'm gonna shoot this one back to Project management and see what they say ......

For your information, the Modbus TCP library works with the onboard PN ports as well as CP modules.

Another thing. I think that what RussB is thinking of is that you can theoretically write code that transfers data on the socket level. In 2007 Mday said he had accomplished this to work between an S7 and a ControlLogix. But this requires an -EWEB module with support for sockets. The -ENBT and the CompactLogix does not support low level sockets !

To my opinion, for now the possible solutions are either Profibus via a Profibus card for the CompactLogix, or a 3rd party gateway like the Anybus device.

I do this frequently using Red Lion products: either an OIT/HMI (the G303 is the least expensive alternative, say less than $500 by my recollection) or their Data Station (headless, more expensive, nice DIN rail mount, but same gateway functionality). Bunch of ways to do it with Red Lion: it can automatically just write the data between devices using their gateway blocks, or you can use Modbus (either TCP or serial) as an intermediate, or you can massage the data using their tags. Is a thing of beauty IMHO.

Another alternative is an OPC server running on a PC on your network, acting as a gateway. Lots of brands available.

With current firmware releases many logix modules support sockets now, not just EWEB
1756-EN2T, EN2TR, EN2F,EN3TR and new 1769 compactlogic controllers all can do it
But it's not so simple to write cross platform drive using them.

Hi Jeebs!

This S7300 clone might possibly do the job as a gateway (I've never touched the unit myself, but am a bit curious about it
icon12.gif
).

http://www.insevis.com/downloads/de/KOMPAKT-SPS/TI_CC300V_Rev02.pdf

• Ethernet mit
- RFC1006,
- Send/ Receive via
TCP und UDP,
- Modbus TCP

Kalle

That all the new Logix CPUs and ethernet modules support sockets, means that the direct connection between an S7 and an AB Logix may become much more probable.
It may not be easy, but someone could program and test it, and pack it into a library function for everyone else to benefit from.