Customer wants to buy a back-up SLC 5/05...

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have been talking about upgrading a customer's machine PLC and HMI... It might happen sometime next Fall. That said, about a month ago, his SLC 5/05 crashed, and I installed his back-up CPU. Now, the customer has asked us to find him a back-up CPU in case this one fails before the upgrade. I remember reading info on this board about being careful about buying SLCs on Ebay. I can't find the discussion, and I need to pass some guidance to to our buyer. He typically avoids anything being sold from China, but I remember hearing the problem extends beyond that advice. Here is a picture of the current CPU. Is there any specific info I should give to him about sourcing a 1747-L552?

Attachments

• 1747-L552-SerB.png
    1747-L552-SerB.png
    194.2 KB · Views: 4
Most reliable (and most expensive) would be to buy a new one. They're at end of life to be discontinued 3/31/2024 with a list price of almost $16k.
I would probably refer them to a place like Radwell that's US based and has a warranty. And then test it immediately upon receipt.

If it's a critical spare, I would buy from a refurbisher like www.radwell.com. warranties, certified, and you know it's genuine. You'll pay more, but the customer will have peace of mind.

There are also a couple of members here that sell used parts, so you might try them as well.