Cutler Hammer D300 PLC

sthays

Hi All,

I am looking for a manual that has the pin out to connect a laptop to a CH D300 PLC.

I saw this thread http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=36731 that has a link to the manual, but I didn't see the comm cable pinout in that manual.

In addition, http://www.foxautomation.com/wingpc has links to the D320 cable.

Does anyone know if the D320 cable is the same cable that is used for the D300, and if not, what the correct cable pinout is for the D300?

Thanks,

Steve

See this thread post # 3 for cable D50CBL10, it plugs into a RS232 to RS485 adapter. I cant remember if the adapter is special or generic, I bought the whole assembly all at once.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=36795

Edit: The cable is the same as shown in your 2nd link. It works for the D50, D300, D320, and D32LT processors.

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks so much.

I just got back from the electronics store with some d-sub components to try that D320 cable. Glad to find that it should work with this D300.

I made up the cable yesterday, and was trying to go online with the PLC today, but it isn't connecting. I checked the pinout of the cable, and it is correct.

There is only 1 PLC I am trying to connect to, so the help says to leave the computer Id at 255. I have a direct connection to the PLC from the Laptop.

Anything else I should try?

I can't say for sure if the D300 uses an adapter or not but it stands to reason since the software is the same that the comm's protocol would be also. I'll keep looking for better info.
You have not mentioned using a RS232 to RS485 adapter anywhere in this thread. It is possble that I am confusing the D300 PLC with the D50 PLC. I know for certain the D50 PLC uses an Adapter ( part # D50CPM485). This is a RS232 to RS485 adapter. It may be custom wired (different pinout) as compared to a generic model.

Edit:
Please notice that the Computer end of the cable is configured different than the PLC end. Be sure to label your cable ends to avoid confusion. Really not much chance of a mixup except when building the cable since one connector is male and the other is female.

2nd Edit:
I can confirm that you will need an adapter from RS232 to RS485. Figure 2-2 (see the bottom of that page) in the manual D300_PLC_Manual.pdf shows this.
Link to manual if you don't have it:
http://www.foxautomation.com/wingpc/D300_PLC_Manual.PDF

Last edited:
I read the manual again, and found in section 8, it shows the host computer connected to the CPU with a RS-232C three wire cable.

The next page shows the dip switches on the CPU card that allow it to communicate via RS 232 or RS485.

My CPu was configured with dip switches 3 on and 4 off, which sets it up in RS-485 (which is how it communicates with the Panelmate).

I turned off the CPU, pulled it out, and switched 3 off and 4 on, and then used the cableI built yesterday (and then tried a standard serial cable) and both worked.

When I was done, I turned off power, pulled out the processor, and switched it back to RS485 comms. It would be much easier if I had a 232/485 converter, I'm sure, or if the original folks who installed the system had used RS232 instead of 485, but at least I have a work around.

Thanks again for the help.

Steve

I don't know if I was much help or not. It appears from the manual info you posted that it actually has both RS232 and RS485 capabilities, depending on the setup.
Thank you for posting the solution.